Re: Is willow wood good for anything

  • langdon_g
    Message 1 of 12 , May 6, 2007
      Pattens. You need to carve pattens from them. Since it is a softer wood
      they will not slip like harder wood (and are much quiter than, say oh,
      White Oak.)
      The blocks would be especially good for the raised pattens that are 2-
      3 " tall.

      Just my thoughts,
      Langdon (BMDL)

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Kristine Elliott"
      <souriete@...> wrote:

      > Is willow wood good for anything? We just had an enormous willow come
      > down and there are long sections of sound wood.
    • Karl Christoffers
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2007
        According to David Kortier, a harpmaker out of Duluth,
        Minnesota, in his article on the building of
        historically correct Trinity College Harp replicas
        http://www.kortier.com/subpages/studtrin.htm
        period wire strung harps had willow bodies, hollowed
        out of solid balks of willow. You might be able to
        find a harpmaker interested in the challange if you
        are not.

        -Malcolm macGregor

        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Kristine
        > Elliott"
        > <souriete@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Is willow wood good for anything? We just had an
        > enormous willow come
        > > down and there are long sections of sound wood.

      • Rebekah d'Avignon
        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2007
          I read where willow was once used regularly for making artificial limbs. Now this may have been replaced by plastics, but you could use it for making molds.

          <souriete@.. .> wrote:

          > Is willow wood good for anything? We just had an enormous willow come
          > down and there are long sections of sound wood.

          The world is too big a place for me to compete with everybody. The only person that I have to be better than is who I am today.
          Col Sherman Potter
          4077 MASH

          Bored stiff? Loosen up...

        • Kristine Elliott
          Message 4 of 12 , May 18, 2007
            I just wanted to send a belated, but heartfelt thank you to those who
            answered my query below. You gave me a lot of options I had no idea
            existed.

            Thank you very much,

            Scolastica

            --
            http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

            If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
            'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz