Re: [MedievalSawdust] TRM Travel Thrones

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2007
      They were a long panel, cut into 2 panels seperated by the horzontal so the grain flows through both.  The top wedges are strictly because each joint  has a dowel and wedge and to not make the top one the same looks funny.  The back assembly and the seat assembly are each permenantly put together, so the top wedges are there for consistancy only.

      Target?? no no, consider the grain all the way to the top, it is more shaped like a flame.  You know, Dragon throne, ball of flame.....

      I will put up more pics of the carving.

      They were very well recived, I got a great number of complements.  They were presented at coronation and King Bardolph's words were something along the lines of Ha!, we get to sit in them first!   Then they gave up the crown.

      Also I got to wear spiffy new cotehardies (matching ones with my lady) and with custom cast buttons with my badge on them.  Ok, not sawdust stuff, but really cool and I did barter woodwork for them.  And I got a great new handsewn banner also by barter.  So working in wood gets you all kinds of new stuff.

      All in all a very pleasing weekend.  Time to start on pennsic stuff.

      -Rhys

      On 5/3/07, AlbionWood < albionwood@...> wrote:

      Rhys, those are beautiful! Very nice work. The bookmatching is very
      spiffy, although the resemblance to a target might be a little
      disturbing (thinking of that silly scene in Braveheart).

      Are those two separate panels, or one long one with a horizontal rail to
      support the arms? And what is the function of the wedges at the top?

      Do you have any detail pics of the carving?

      Congratulations on a successful project. I assume they were well-received?

      Cheers,
      Colin

      --