Re: [MedievalSawdust] Is willow wood good for anything

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2 4:30 PM
      i was going to say, wands. willow is so hard to get in arizona.
      wands are always in demand.

      --
      That which yields isn't always weak.
    • nelsonhaynes@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2 4:35 PM
        Willow is a wonderful wood used for any thing that needs a flexible wood. In the middle ages it was used for wattle, fences, furniture, treen, and charcoal. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow. It is a good article.

        Master Nigel

        See what's free at AOL.com.
      • Heath Barlin
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3 12:21 AM

          Willow was a popular choice for shields for AS and Vikings.

          Cheers,

          Heath

          Message 4 of 12 , May 6 6:00 PM
            Pattens. You need to carve pattens from them. Since it is a softer wood
            they will not slip like harder wood (and are much quiter than, say oh,
            White Oak.)
            The blocks would be especially good for the raised pattens that are 2-
            3 " tall.

            Just my thoughts,
            Langdon (BMDL)

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Kristine Elliott"
            <souriete@...> wrote:

            > Is willow wood good for anything? We just had an enormous willow come
            > down and there are long sections of sound wood.
          • Karl Christoffers
            Message 5 of 12 , May 6 10:19 PM
              According to David Kortier, a harpmaker out of Duluth,
              Minnesota, in his article on the building of
              historically correct Trinity College Harp replicas
              http://www.kortier.com/subpages/studtrin.htm
              period wire strung harps had willow bodies, hollowed
              out of solid balks of willow. You might be able to
              find a harpmaker interested in the challange if you
              are not.

              -Malcolm macGregor

              > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Kristine
              > Elliott"
              > <souriete@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Is willow wood good for anything? We just had an
              > enormous willow come
              > > down and there are long sections of sound wood.

            • Rebekah d'Avignon
              Message 6 of 12 , May 7 4:23 AM
                I read where willow was once used regularly for making artificial limbs. Now this may have been replaced by plastics, but you could use it for making molds.

                <souriete@.. .> wrote:

                > Is willow wood good for anything? We just had an enormous willow come
                > down and there are long sections of sound wood.

                The world is too big a place for me to compete with everybody. The only person that I have to be better than is who I am today.
                Col Sherman Potter
                4077 MASH

                Bored stiff? Loosen up...

              • Kristine Elliott
                Message 7 of 12 , May 18 2:52 PM
                  I just wanted to send a belated, but heartfelt thank you to those who
                  answered my query below. You gave me a lot of options I had no idea
                  existed.

                  Thank you very much,

                  Scolastica