RE: [MedievalSawdust] Is willow wood good for anything

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2007
      Willow is related to Poplar, so I'd expect similar properties. Indistinct grain, relatively soft deciduous wood.

      As for your sandpaper issue.... You can also select wood for your spindles whose propertied match your requirments. Dogwood is a wood that actually gets smoother and polished with wear. That is why it was used for loom shuttles up through the 20th C. Would that be an appropriate property with a spindle?

      To get that sort of polished-wear started, try hand rubbing with the wood shavings.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      From: "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
      > I'm sure there are folks here who will disagree with me, but I've never seen
      > a willow that was good for anything but making baskets since a branch
      > sheered off under me in 1969 and dumped me on my back in my Aunt's yard.
      >
      > As to sandpaper, the general consensus is that while a case can be made for
      > sandpaper really, really late, it's not a GOOD case, and that most smoothing
      > was done with some type of cabinet scraper.
      >
      > Something you may also need to do is adjust your perceptions. Hand finished
      > wood projects don't have the near-plastic shine and glassy surface. One of
      > the epiphanies I had examining the carved panels on display at the Cloisters
      > was that the bottoms of the voids are NOT smooth, level, and even, and that
      > tool marks were visible, even in high quality ecclesiastical works. Your
      > spindles may be fine.
      >
      > Master Will

    • Tracy Swanson
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2007
        I don't know if you have a use for willow, but I would be interested in some
        of it if you are willing to trade (I have always had requests for wands of
        willow, but have a hard time getting a hold of any). Email me privately if
        interested. (magicmouse @ cox.net)

        In Magical Service,
        Malaki
      • leaking pen
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2007
          i was going to say, wands. willow is so hard to get in arizona.
          wands are always in demand.

          --
          That which yields isn't always weak.
        • nelsonhaynes@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2007
            Willow is a wonderful wood used for any thing that needs a flexible wood. In the middle ages it was used for wattle, fences, furniture, treen, and charcoal. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow. It is a good article.

            Master Nigel

            See what's free at AOL.com.
          • Heath Barlin
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2007

              Willow was a popular choice for shields for AS and Vikings.

              Cheers,

              Heath

              Message 6 of 12 , May 6, 2007
                Pattens. You need to carve pattens from them. Since it is a softer wood
                they will not slip like harder wood (and are much quiter than, say oh,
                White Oak.)
                The blocks would be especially good for the raised pattens that are 2-
                3 " tall.

                Just my thoughts,
                Langdon (BMDL)

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Kristine Elliott"
                <souriete@...> wrote:

                > Is willow wood good for anything? We just had an enormous willow come
                > down and there are long sections of sound wood.
              • Karl Christoffers
                Message 7 of 12 , May 6, 2007
                  According to David Kortier, a harpmaker out of Duluth,
                  Minnesota, in his article on the building of
                  historically correct Trinity College Harp replicas
                  http://www.kortier.com/subpages/studtrin.htm
                  period wire strung harps had willow bodies, hollowed
                  out of solid balks of willow. You might be able to
                  find a harpmaker interested in the challange if you
                  are not.

                  -Malcolm macGregor

                  > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Kristine
                  > Elliott"
                  > <souriete@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Is willow wood good for anything? We just had an
                  > enormous willow come
                  > > down and there are long sections of sound wood.

                • Rebekah d'Avignon
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 7, 2007
                    I read where willow was once used regularly for making artificial limbs. Now this may have been replaced by plastics, but you could use it for making molds.

                    <souriete@.. .> wrote:

                    > Is willow wood good for anything? We just had an enormous willow come
                    > down and there are long sections of sound wood.

                    The world is too big a place for me to compete with everybody. The only person that I have to be better than is who I am today.
                    Col Sherman Potter
                    4077 MASH

                    Bored stiff? Loosen up...

                  • Kristine Elliott
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 18, 2007
                      I just wanted to send a belated, but heartfelt thank you to those who
                      answered my query below. You gave me a lot of options I had no idea
                      existed.

                      Thank you very much,

                      Scolastica