TRM Travel Thrones

  • captainrhys
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      I am pleased to announce the presentation of the Midrealm's new Travel
      Thrones for Their Royal Majesties Dag and Anne Marie. Presented at
      Coronation last weekend. Picture of them in the files section.

      Design, Construction, and Finish By Lord Rhys
      Carving by The Honorable Lord Reginald

      Ludi Fac,

      -Rhys
    • C N Schwartz
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        Sweet!  And scaled up to fit a person of my "carriage"

        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2007
          Well done! Are they walnut or poplar?

          In Magical Service,
          Malaki

          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2007
            They are made from walnut.  I should know since I provided part of the lumber.  Rhys, the bookmatched knot in the thrones look wonderful.  Great job too to Reginald.

            Cadet Ælfwine se Pyttel
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2007
              They are Black Walnut, the matching Prince and Princess ones are maple, with a different carving style.  No stain, just lindseed oil and a dark wax to make the carvings stand out.  The bookmatched raised panels were made from materials donated by Aelfwine Patel.  THL Reginald put something like 450 hours into carving them.  So I gotta thank them both, because they would have been a lesser thing without thier help.

              -Rhys

              --
              ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
            • Tracy Swanson
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2007
                Some outstanding work, to be sure. Well done!

                In Magical Service,
                Malaki

                Message 7 of 8 , May 3, 2007
                  Rhys, those are beautiful! Very nice work. The bookmatching is very
                  spiffy, although the resemblance to a target might be a little
                  disturbing (thinking of that silly scene in Braveheart).

                  Are those two separate panels, or one long one with a horizontal rail to
                  support the arms? And what is the function of the wedges at the top?

                  Do you have any detail pics of the carving?

                  Congratulations on a successful project. I assume they were well-received?

                  Cheers,
                  Colin
                • Dan Baker
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 6, 2007
                    They were a long panel, cut into 2 panels seperated by the horzontal so the grain flows through both.  The top wedges are strictly because each joint  has a dowel and wedge and to not make the top one the same looks funny.  The back assembly and the seat assembly are each permenantly put together, so the top wedges are there for consistancy only.

                    Target?? no no, consider the grain all the way to the top, it is more shaped like a flame.  You know, Dragon throne, ball of flame.....

                    I will put up more pics of the carving.

                    They were very well recived, I got a great number of complements.  They were presented at coronation and King Bardolph's words were something along the lines of Ha!, we get to sit in them first!   Then they gave up the crown.

                    Also I got to wear spiffy new cotehardies (matching ones with my lady) and with custom cast buttons with my badge on them.  Ok, not sawdust stuff, but really cool and I did barter woodwork for them.  And I got a great new handsewn banner also by barter.  So working in wood gets you all kinds of new stuff.

                    All in all a very pleasing weekend.  Time to start on pennsic stuff.

                    -Rhys