Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: pics of 6board chests

  • Bruce S. R. Lee
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2007
      I'd guess that it was so named, and came in many different shapes &
      sizes, because it was a box that accompanied a nun when she entered
      the convent, and contained such items of clothing and devotion as she
      kept with her. When she died, the contents would have been disbursed,
      to family if appropriate, the lay poor and other sisters with less
      wealthy families and the box would have stayed in the convent until
      worn out in use.

      What we see today is an ecclectic assortment of chests/boxes all
      correctly called nun's chest, but varying depending on the time or
      place of manufacture.

      regards
      Brusi
      Rowany/Lochac