Re: [medievalsawdust] Rope sliders

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2003
      --- Alessandro dEste <avalonbear@...> wrote:
      > Does anyone have a plan for a jig so I can drill the
      > holes in roap
      > sliders str8.?
      > IYS
      > Alessandro dEste

      What tools do you have? or have access to?
      ( drill press? table saw? )

      For round sliders? Flat work also. The jig for
      a flat slider is simply a waste board under it
      to help minimize tear out as the drill bit cuts
      through. And it will be cheaper.

      Cut the V out the the jig at a 45 degree angle on
      a table saw. Lay the slider piece in the jig and
      use one edge to draw a straight line along the length.
      make a mark 1/2 inch plus half the diameter of the bit
      from each end and place back into the jig.

      Turn the piece so the the line is on top and drill.

      If you really want to get complicated you can add
      more lenght to the jig and add a dowel to the jig
      in the center of the V groove so that once you
      drill the first hole you place that hole on the pin
      to help align the round stock.

      Drill the holes slightly bigger than the rope in a
      block. Plan size to allow for at least 1/2 inch at the
      end and 3 inches between holes.

      This is one of those things that is easier to show
      someone, than to explain in text...

      =====
      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Alessandro dEste
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2003
        <baronconal@y...> wrote:
        > What tools do you have? or have access to?
        > ( drill press? table saw? )

        I have the normals around a garage shop. drill press ,table saw,
        scrole saw, power miter saw and a few more odds and ends.
        Thanks Jim for your help.Ill be out in the shop today(Early this
        morning) building a jig.
        IYS
        Alessandro dEste