basswood

  • Brian Tychonski
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 12, 2007
      <<I have found I will use Basswood, while not period for great britan it
      looks much like maple and it is lighter and softer than maple, yet not
      as soft or light a cedar.>>

      If I remember correctly (and I may be mistaken as I don't recall the book I read it in) basswood may have been called limewood in Europe during period in which case it would be very period with all of the carvings that were done in England from it.

      Brian Broadaxe
    • Jeff Johnson
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 15, 2007
        Inlay is older than Wiki reports.

        I've seen gameboards with inlay, a 16th C table a friend is
        replicating a table with mother-of-pearl inlay, and I've seen built-in
        cabinetry/armoir that had images of armor the armoir was (presumably)
        intended to contain done in the door panels. That armor was definitely
        mid/late 15th C Milanese. Don't recall for certain, but I think it was
        in the Philly MOA...