old tools

  • Hallie Ewanus
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2007
      I just got 2 nice draw knives off ebay ! Paid around $15 with the
      shipping for both. one is straight the other a curved. On was ready
      to go and even sharp! Tested it out on a carved staff I've been
      working on. wood is hibisces from my garden was really fun to use.
      The other needs new wood handles. They have a light surface of
      rust and that made the pricwe low. Since I have a bench grinder I
      knew I could sharpen and polish them up.
      As to the handles my little table top lathe will make them easily
      too.
      I got that from ebay too! but I also get a lot of tools both old
      hand and power at yard sales and flea markets.I've paid as little as
      $2 for a nice small block plane and as much as $10for a large wood
      bench plane! been at this for a few years and getting bargins takes
      both luck and pacience
      Even get some tools from dumpsters! In the last few month I found
      two good quality brand name circular saws in working condition! The
      change to cordless is a blessing for me on a tight budget.
      Hallie,
      in south east fl.
    • Rebekah d'Avignon
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12, 2007
        Depending on your grinder.....you might not want to use it to remove rust. Unless the rust is really deep a grinder may take off too much stock. I've been successful with sand paper and a "rust cutter" such as WD-40, then finishing off with steel wool. Of course your fingers are going to be just a bit close to that edge - depending on how sharp it is. Tools from turn-of-the-century and before tend to be higher quality because of a number of things such as work ethic, job pride, and a lack of do-it-cheap attitude.

        Hallie Ewanus <hallieve@...> wrote:
[...]

        .

        NOTE: emails may take several DAYS to post - have a little courtesy, please.

        Bored stiff? Loosen up...