Re: [medievalsawdust] Pricing your work ?

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
      >What's a good starting point for hourly rate? Minimum wage?

      Depends. Are you really trying to make a living at it? Do you have
      insurance coverage through a spouse or other job? How much training or
      experience do you have? etc...

      > I have no
      >idea what a modern entry-level cabinetmaker earns.

      Depends. Location, experience, market conditions... Right now an
      entry-level guy in a commercial shop probably won't be getting much more
      than grunt wages, probably less than $10/hour. An experienced guy in a top
      market area probably can't get much more than $30/hour. Cabinetmaking is a
      tough business right now.

      > Do people mark up
      >the cost of materials?

      No, I just build them into my price. What I do is design the piece, make a
      WAG of how long it will take me to complete, figure out how much I want to
      make, and add the materials costs plus incidentals. I'm almost always too
      low - I don't make much over $10/hour most of the time.

      The way I figure materials is to add up the board footage in the piece, add
      at least 30% for waste, and add an allowance for consumables (sandpaper,
      finish, etc.).

      Your price also has to pay back the cost of your tools, and pay for new
      blades, power consumption, and a host of other little things that add up.

      >That's for sure! There's too many crafty people. I wish I had a buck
      >for every time I hear someone say, "I can make that."

      What I need is a way to turn compliments into cash. A friend suggested I
      put out a large jar, and charge 25 cents every time someone says "Very nice
      work, m'lord." :-D

      Don't get me wrong, I love those compliments, but they are too rarely
      followed by sales!

      > > I probably wouldn't make something like that for less than $500,
      >
      >Wow, my initial thought $300.

      Two years ago that's probably what I would have said too. But that would
      be sub-minimum wage, at least for the amount of time I would put into
      it. If you work faster than me, you can charge less and still make
      more. I put a _lot_ of time into details and finishing - cutting chamfers,
      easing edges, sanding and scraping. And as I noted above, there are a lot
      of expenses that have to get paid out of that price.

      >I bought them from a shire member who smiths. I think he charged me
      >$20.

      Give me that guy's name, I want to order a dozen.

      >I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
      >furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
      >right hardware.

      Hardware is a big problem for us medievalists. Forging it yourself is
      definitely a good way to go, but then you have to get paid for that work,
      too. My solution is to make pin-hinged clamped-front chests. ;-)

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      www.albionworks.net
      www.albionworks.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
        Unless there is a lot of carving
        I've found that in the SCA you are
        lucky if you can get twice the cost
        of materials.

        I've been considering trying to find
        a local store front to do consignment
        through, there I could get something
        more like the actual value of the piece.

        =====
        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Scott Lane
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
          > >I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
          > >furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
          > >right hardware.
          >Hardware is a big problem for us medievalists. Forging it yourself is
          >definitely a good way to go, but then you have to get paid for that work,
          >too. My solution is to make pin-hinged clamped-front chests. ;-)

          I am in the process of finishing a whole bunch of hinges for
          chests (15+)... They are all spoken for but once I get them done I would
          be more than willing to make more, as well as other hardware. If anyone is
          interested in traditional forged hardware send me an e-mail at:
          scotty@...

          In Service,
          Aodhfin
        • Cockerel Woodworks
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003

            I sell to many different re-enactment groups, and I agree that the SCA is pretty much the worst of them all when it comes to handing over the cash. How do I get around this problem? Simple, my prices do not move! They can either pay for the article at full value or not at all. I will not de-value my work, and yes, that is exactly what you do every time you lower your prices. As for the famous bleat of “ I could make that” my answer is always “yes, but have you?” It is amazing how many of these closet artists never produce a thing………….

            Julian (Incidentally, known as master Ulfgar OL in the SCA, lest I am seen to be bashing it)

            Cockerel Woodworks

            Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

            View our gallery!

            http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
              >I've been considering trying to find
              >a local store front to do consignment
              >through, there I could get something
              >more like the actual value of the piece.

              Minus the store's commission, of course. Which can be substantial;
              galleries take as much as 50% of the sales price. So you still aren't
              getting the "actual value" if that is the same as the sales price. But a
              good gallery _adds value_ to your work, by effectively marketing and
              presenting it. And if you count the time and cost of going to events to
              sell stuff, on balance you are going to be way ahead letting someone else
              do that for a 50% commission. Then you can go to events just to have a
              good time, instead of being tied to the booth.

              Cheers,
              Colin

              Albion Works
              Furniture and Accessories
              For the Medievalist!
              www.albionworks.net
              www.albionworks.com
            • Hal and Julia
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 18, 2003
                Hi there folks, I have been selling my reproductions and adaptations for over ten years now. I first stated selling them in the SCA as a way of off setting my cost to do effects. My prices were low and I got so many comitions that I could not keep up with orders. In the end I raised my prices to reflect the cost of my art and to slow down the number of orders I received. I now sell to allsorts of people, with reproductions range from Roman to Modern. In the end pricing becomes is a balance of several things your time, your materials, and your art witch can be very emotional.

                In service
                Hal Raeburn, OL

              • Cockerel Woodworks

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 19, 2003
                    No, I have not had the time yet to complete one.

                    Hal