RE: [MedievalSawdust] Feast box plans/ideas

  • Tracy Swanson
    Message 1 of 52 , Apr 3, 2007
      For a personal feast gear box I would take all of the items you intend to pack and stack them to get an idea of how much space you need to enclose. Add a couple of inches in each direction, then build a box to enclose the space. By adding the extra inches you will afford yourself the needed space fir items you forgot to include (linens, flatware, etc.) and allow room for items to be added at a later date. To build the box, be sure to add the thickness of the wood to your measurements and construct using lap, box or dovetailed joints, depending upon your skill and the equipment available to you. Be careful to choose a lighter-weight wood, such as poplar (easy to carve!), as woods such as oak will add dramatically to the weight you are already hauling.
      If, on the other hand, you are looking for more of a portable kitchen (which isn't terribly period), plywood will be your best bet. Ply can be joined in much the same way as solid wood, but without the tendency of warping, cupping or splitting, and at a lighter weight as well. if aesthetics are an issue, edge the ply and/or paint the chest. This sort of  item, in scouts, was referred to as a chuck box. By making a box approximately 18" square and 3' - 4' long and dividing the interior space to fit such items as a folded camp stove, nested pots and pans, plates and bowls and a (dare I say it) drawer for flatware and knives. One that I built had the long side panels fold down to reveal the cubby-holed interior, additional end panels that overlay the end caps offer a cutting surface and a cut-out that accepted a plastic wash tub. The entire chest was on 4" locking, swivel casters that were hidden behind oriental-styled feet. The chest can be set on a table to raise it up for service or a set of folding table legs can be attached for the same purpose. Handles that swivel down are convenient for lifting the chuck box into and out of a truck. The one that I built is now in service to a traveling tavern.
      In Magical Service,
      Message 52 of 52 , Apr 23, 2007
        Okay, Chris.
        I'm here.

        I just wanna re-inforce what Chris has said........what we
        call 'Basswood' here, they call 'Limewood' in GB.

        It's basically the same tree, just a different name, growing in a
        different place.

        What WE call Sycamore, They call 'Lace wood' (look at the pretty lacy
        patterns on a face of wood from our Sycamore, and you'll understand

        What THEY call 'Sycamore' We call Maple.

        Quite frankly, 'Lime' or 'Bass' makes no logical sense on the first
        one, since there seems no reason to call it either.

        Folk here in the States make Basswood sound like a dirty word, if
        they're a woodworker......as if it's not a 'real' wood (frankly, it's
        the same way I speak of Balsa wood, that disgusting stuff used for
        model airplanes,....but it works good for that....)

        Basswood is Great stuff !!!
        Yeah, it's softer than maple (heck, Most woods I carve with,
        are 'softer than maple, even my beloved Black walnut and Cherry
        wood....I don't care what the charts may say,......I flatly refuse to
        Ever carve on another piece of Maple wood, if I can help it, for the
        rest of my life,.......she says, as 4 pieces of maple await the
        carver's knife downstairs,......sorry,......it can't be helped, it
        was all I had to use for a special commission that would do what
        needed doing,.....doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it,.....in fact, if
        it can't be done, I'm giving them their money back, rather than
        endure the aggrivation of trying to do the job.......
        Shara, aka Asa of the Wood

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "C N Schwartz" <kjworz@...>