RE: [MedievalSawdust] Feast box plans/ideas

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 52 , Apr 3, 2007
      "Oakes, George" <goakes@tiresplus. com> wrote:
      Lady Marthe Elsbeth,
      Yes I have considered the weight of most of the dense hardwoods, and while they make a durable box, they also make it harder to move about.
      My choices of wood while many, I do wish to make the box as period looking as possible, and easy enough for a Lady and a Lad to carry easily, whilst I am off at battle.
      The thought of Oak plywood has crossed my mind, but I will need to hide the edges so as not to give away the true modern-ness of the chest/box.
      Thank you much for your suggestions.
      George Oakes

      COMMENT
      Er, don't worry about the "look " of the wood, unless your Personas are going to be late 16th century!
      Earlier coffers and chests were most-often painted, "in-period", or covered with "tooled leather".
      Before a surge in Tudor-period house-building and shipbuilding denuded England and the Continent of much of their ancient Forests, - the classic timbers we have come to prize for their grain, colour, and cost were still common - and there was no kudos [status-statement] in having wooden items finished with transparent finishes to allow the wood's grain to show through.
      Rather, -  one approached the local Craft Hall of the Limners Guild, and enaged a Journeyman or Master to decorate one's new chest/coffer/armoir/ chair/ or table.
      That painted decoration was the statement of conspicuous consumption.

      The best-kept group - but in a little known collection of such chests and coffers - is to be found in the English National Archives - viz -

      E  Records of the Exchequer, and its related bodies, with those of the Office of First Fruits and Tenths, and the Court of Augmentations
       Division within E  Records of the Treasury of the Receipt
      Top of pagetop of page

      Record Summary

      Title
      Exchequer: Treasury of the Receipt: Chests
      Legal statusPublic Record(s)
      LanguageEnglish, French and Latin
      Former reference (Department)
      Former reference (PRO)
      Creator names

      Covering datesc1255-c1600
      Physical description11 boxes and chests
      Dimensions
      Map scale number
      Physical condition

      All the chests are of wood, with iron fittings and reinforcements; several are painted or covered with hide or cuir-bouilli (leather immersed in hot or boiling water to make it sufficiently supple to be worked, but which hardened on cooling).

      and I would direct your attention to Item E27 - in particular, - the "Chest of the Treaty of Calais", dating from around 1360 which is a classic example of a medieval painited chest.
      There are online pictures of the chest. Go to
      to see a picture.

      Regards,
      Matthew.

    • windsingersmoon
      Message 52 of 52 , Apr 23, 2007
        Okay, Chris.
        I'm here.

        I just wanna re-inforce what Chris has said........what we
        call 'Basswood' here, they call 'Limewood' in GB.

        It's basically the same tree, just a different name, growing in a
        different place.

        What WE call Sycamore, They call 'Lace wood' (look at the pretty lacy
        patterns on a face of wood from our Sycamore, and you'll understand
        why)

        What THEY call 'Sycamore' We call Maple.

        Quite frankly, 'Lime' or 'Bass' makes no logical sense on the first
        one, since there seems no reason to call it either.

        Folk here in the States make Basswood sound like a dirty word, if
        they're a woodworker......as if it's not a 'real' wood (frankly, it's
        the same way I speak of Balsa wood, that disgusting stuff used for
        model airplanes,....but it works good for that....)

        Basswood is Great stuff !!!
        Yeah, it's softer than maple (heck, Most woods I carve with,
        are 'softer than maple, even my beloved Black walnut and Cherry
        wood....I don't care what the charts may say,......I flatly refuse to
        Ever carve on another piece of Maple wood, if I can help it, for the
        rest of my life,.......she says, as 4 pieces of maple await the
        carver's knife downstairs,......sorry,......it can't be helped, it
        was all I had to use for a special commission that would do what
        needed doing,.....doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it,.....in fact, if
        it can't be done, I'm giving them their money back, rather than
        endure the aggrivation of trying to do the job.......
        Shara, aka Asa of the Wood
        http://www.housebarra.com/asa/
        http://www.angelfire.com/ga/waterbearingfish/marcherlord/asashara.html

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "C N Schwartz" <kjworz@...>