Re: [MedievalSawdust] Feast box plans/ideas

  • Flemish Lady
    Message 1 of 52 , Apr 3, 2007
      There are as many variations as there are people.
      Think about what you will be carrying in the box,
      storing in the box, do you want a box that doubles as
      a stool, do you want a box that goes along with your
      personna. Do you want separate compartments for your
      breakable pieces? Drawers for your small items? How
      will you carry it?

      I'm presently trying to complete my second feast gear
      box. The first turned out great, but I can barely
      lift it empty, much less tote it around casually full
      of my feast gear. It's made of elm, a particularly
      dense wood. It goes to war with me.

      The second 'feast box' is a panel chest of oak and
      1/4" plywood for the panels, smaller than the elm box.
      And I'm thinking it will still be too heavy for me to
      carelessly pick up and haul to the hall at a moment's
      notice. I'll end up with two really nice boxes, but
      still using the basket I have presently for my feast
      gear. Which is why I suggested the stool option.

      Just some thoughts to consider in planning a feast
      box.

      Blessings,
      Marthe Elsbeth

      --- George <goakes@...> wrote:

      > I would like to build a wooden box for feast items.
      > Any ideas or plans
      > available anywhere? Pictures wood be nice too?
      >
      > Thanks

    • windsingersmoon
      Message 52 of 52 , Apr 23, 2007
        Okay, Chris.
        I'm here.

        I just wanna re-inforce what Chris has said........what we
        call 'Basswood' here, they call 'Limewood' in GB.

        It's basically the same tree, just a different name, growing in a
        different place.

        What WE call Sycamore, They call 'Lace wood' (look at the pretty lacy
        patterns on a face of wood from our Sycamore, and you'll understand
        why)

        What THEY call 'Sycamore' We call Maple.

        Quite frankly, 'Lime' or 'Bass' makes no logical sense on the first
        one, since there seems no reason to call it either.

        Folk here in the States make Basswood sound like a dirty word, if
        they're a woodworker......as if it's not a 'real' wood (frankly, it's
        the same way I speak of Balsa wood, that disgusting stuff used for
        model airplanes,....but it works good for that....)

        Basswood is Great stuff !!!
        Yeah, it's softer than maple (heck, Most woods I carve with,
        are 'softer than maple, even my beloved Black walnut and Cherry
        wood....I don't care what the charts may say,......I flatly refuse to
        Ever carve on another piece of Maple wood, if I can help it, for the
        rest of my life,.......she says, as 4 pieces of maple await the
        carver's knife downstairs,......sorry,......it can't be helped, it
        was all I had to use for a special commission that would do what
        needed doing,.....doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it,.....in fact, if
        it can't be done, I'm giving them their money back, rather than
        endure the aggrivation of trying to do the job.......
        Shara, aka Asa of the Wood
        http://www.housebarra.com/asa/
        http://www.angelfire.com/ga/waterbearingfish/marcherlord/asashara.html

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "C N Schwartz" <kjworz@...>