RE: [MedievalSawdust] Feast box plans/ideas

  • Oakes, George
    Message 1 of 52 , Apr 3, 2007

      I would like period looking, durable, and nice. Price is of no concern, I have access to lots of wood, exotic, and the like

      George Oakes
      VB.Net Programmer/Analyst
      Morgan Tire & Auto
      dba. Tires Plus, Total Car Care
      (727) 442-8388 ext. 2374
      (800) 269-4424 Toll Free
      Goakes@...

      *******CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*******

      This email is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein.  It may contain legally privileged and confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited and irreparable harm may result there from.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and delete this email from your system.

      Message 52 of 52 , Apr 23, 2007
        Okay, Chris.
        I'm here.

        I just wanna re-inforce what Chris has said........what we
        call 'Basswood' here, they call 'Limewood' in GB.

        It's basically the same tree, just a different name, growing in a
        different place.

        What WE call Sycamore, They call 'Lace wood' (look at the pretty lacy
        patterns on a face of wood from our Sycamore, and you'll understand
        why)

        What THEY call 'Sycamore' We call Maple.

        Quite frankly, 'Lime' or 'Bass' makes no logical sense on the first
        one, since there seems no reason to call it either.

        Folk here in the States make Basswood sound like a dirty word, if
        they're a woodworker......as if it's not a 'real' wood (frankly, it's
        the same way I speak of Balsa wood, that disgusting stuff used for
        model airplanes,....but it works good for that....)

        Basswood is Great stuff !!!
        Yeah, it's softer than maple (heck, Most woods I carve with,
        are 'softer than maple, even my beloved Black walnut and Cherry
        wood....I don't care what the charts may say,......I flatly refuse to
        Ever carve on another piece of Maple wood, if I can help it, for the
        rest of my life,.......she says, as 4 pieces of maple await the
        carver's knife downstairs,......sorry,......it can't be helped, it
        was all I had to use for a special commission that would do what
        needed doing,.....doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it,.....in fact, if
        it can't be done, I'm giving them their money back, rather than
        endure the aggrivation of trying to do the job.......
        Shara, aka Asa of the Wood
        http://www.housebarra.com/asa/
        http://www.angelfire.com/ga/waterbearingfish/marcherlord/asashara.html

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "C N Schwartz" <kjworz@...>