Re: [MedievalSawdust] That "Drawer Queston"...

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
      It is indeed turning into a good discussion!  What I'd like to know next is, how are the earliest drawers constructed?  If they are dovetailed, then maybe that explains their sudden appearance.

      I wouldn't question that date just yet - consider location.  I think England has to be considered separately from the Continent, because a lot of 15th century developments just didn't get adopted by the English until much later.  Look at hopped beer, for example.  (Better yet - drink some!  That will surely improve the discussion even more.)

      Cheers,
      Colin

      James Winkler wrote:
      Wow... this is turning into a fascinating question.  I've been going through art books, doing internet searches, furniture books...  and ya' know... ya' really can't find a thing on drawers (other than those few examples in "Mobel Europas"... and while I have great faith in a museum's ability to date.. I'd have to agree that the 2nd half 15th c. date is *looking* questionable)...

      So... what the heck would have spawned this sudden interest in putting drawers in things???  I couldn't be a 'technology thing'... they were producing boxes and object much more complex for years.

      Weird...

      ... more stuff to dig into...

      GREAT darned question...