Re: [MedievalSawdust] Earliest Drawer

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 73 , Apr 1, 2007
      I believe that the one you are talking about is Museum Number W.29:1
      to 9-1932 You can find it by a search of V&A
      http://images.vam.ac.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?_IXSESSION_=&submit-button=search&search-form=main/index.html
      with the museum number in the search field. There are multiple views available.

      If you go to advanced search and type "drawer" in the all fields and
      1600 as the ending date, you will find 18 returns of interesting objects.

      Beth

      At 11:31 AM 4/1/2007, you wrote:
      >In "Western Furniture 1350 to the present day by Christopher Wilk"
      >there is an example of a writing desk (currently in the V&A) that
      >has Henry VIII's arms and the arms of his 1st queen Catherine of
      >Aragon. Tentative date is 1525 or 1526. It has a fold down front
      >with three drawers behind it and a smaller drawer on the side of the
      >desk. The paintings on it were down for Henry by the his personel
      >painter Lucas Hornebolte (who started working for the king in 1525)
      >and the king divorced Catherine in 1527, so the date of 1525 or 26
      >looks pretty firm. \
      >

      >Mark
    • Liedtke Goetz
      Message 73 of 73 , Apr 2, 2007
        --- Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:

        > The full number is both..."W.29:1 to 9-1932" Everything in the
        > quotes. I do not understand their numbering scheme either!

        Thanks.

        Now that I've looked at it, I'm skeptical about its authenticity. It
        looks to much like later furniture for me not to question its origins.
        What's more, the V&A don't have any provenance for it. The final straw
        is the list of modifications made in the 18th and 19th century. I
        might understand the 19th century lining, but I don't understand the
        18th century metal knobs and feet.

        Goetz

        It's here! Your new message!