RE: "Before the Mast"

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2007
      Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
      The ladies in my life pooled their butter-and-egg money and got me that for a gift shortly after it came out.  It’s worth every penny.
      Will
      .

      COMMENT
       I have my own copy. The Chapters on the carpenter's cabin, tools and chests is very frustrating for me as a professional woodworker, - because almost none of the ferrous metalwork survived  more than 4 centuries under the Solent mud. But the details of all the wooden items are fascinating. I agree, the book is worth every penny - and you'll get far more from the book than you would by visiting the Mary Rose Museum. The dimensioned drawings are good working sketches, from which any skilled Joiner/Turner can re-manufacture replicas of items found on board the wreck.
      I agree with Will, - it's worth every penny - and I bought my copy through amazon.com for a lot less than $100.

      Yours in service,
       Matthew Baker,
       in "old" Jersey.