Close stools, part deux

  • peerlady
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2003
      I thought I would see if I could find on-line the illustration I
      mentioned previously of medieval beds and a close stool. No such
      luck, but I did find some interesting stuff nonetheless.

      The talented Lady Ceara ni Neill of Atlantia has made a nifty and
      decorative close stool, which may be seen here.
      http://www.housebarra.com/projects/boxchair/index.html

      A Power Point slide presentation about King Charles (I?) Velvet-
      covered close stool (his "Other Throne"), including some construction
      details. Intended for school children, apparently. Click on various
      parts of the item for close-ups, details and thought-provoking
      questions.
      http://www.schoolsliaison.org.uk/KINGCH~1.PPT

      An intriguing exhibition, which closed this past January <alas>,
      called "Privy to the Past", which was sponsored by Georgia-Pacific,
      makers of Quilted Northern Bath Tissue, and mounted (as it were) by
      the Neville Public Museum of Brown County, Wisconsin. It included a
      variety of historical toilets, including a close stool, an earth
      closet and a non-functioning reconstruction of a life-size Roman
      latrine that visitors could sit on. I couldn't find a picture of the
      close stool, but this exhibition is definitely in the "weird but
      wonderful" category. Type "Privy to the Past" into your search engine.

      An antique 17c close stool, unfortunately already sold:
      http://www.early-oak.fsnet.co.uk/Close%20stool.htm

      -- Signy (Does it look like I have too much time on my hands?)
    • sdhunter3
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2003
        When I think of documentation for a Medieval close stool, I think of
        the picture "The Market of Porte Ravegnano, Bologna." See figure 23
        of "Trades and Crafts in Medieval Manuscripts by Patricia Basing.
        This book also has lots of pictures of period tools and furniture.

        Regards,
        Stanford

        P.S. I'll be at Pennsic

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "peerlady" <trbrown@u...>
        wrote:
        > I thought I would see if I could find on-line the illustration I
        > mentioned previously of medieval beds and a close stool. No such
        > luck, but I did find some interesting stuff nonetheless.

        <snip>