Earliest Drawer

  • jamieblackrose
    Message 1 of 73 , Mar 28, 2007
      Dear Worthies I happened to ask myself a question that I cannot find
      an answer to.

      What is the earliest drawer we find in woodworking? Were they used at
      all in the Middle Ages? Where can I find a history of this?

      Thank You,
      Jamie Blackrose
    • Liedtke Goetz
      Message 73 of 73 , Apr 2, 2007
        --- Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:

        > The full number is both..."W.29:1 to 9-1932" Everything in the
        > quotes. I do not understand their numbering scheme either!

        Thanks.

        Now that I've looked at it, I'm skeptical about its authenticity. It
        looks to much like later furniture for me not to question its origins.
        What's more, the V&A don't have any provenance for it. The final straw
        is the list of modifications made in the 18th and 19th century. I
        might understand the 19th century lining, but I don't understand the
        18th century metal knobs and feet.

        Goetz

        It's here! Your new message!