Re: [MedievalSawdust] improving one's encampment - "raised fire-hearth & takedown chests" pic

  • Robb Schuster
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2007
      I assume the Med Enc list is members only
      Can somone temp host the pics for those of us not on that list?

      Halv

      On 3/25/07, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:
      Gentles of the Lists -
      for anyone who's interested, in "Messire Baker's Album", at the Med. Enc List, there is
      1] now a picture of the raised firehearth [copied from one in a re-created Viking house at Jorvik] I threw-together in a Saturday morning's frantic work in May, 2004 - when our group realised we needed a portable firehearth, and heard just that our next display-ground would mean placing the fire-spot in a gravelled public-car park, temporarily closed for the event.
      There are hidden air-holes [in the ends] to ventilate the enclosed space underneath, - and so far - there has been no scorching of the grass underneath, even after 3 day's use at a "camp" - which is as long as we have done so far in our little isle.
      The whole thing dismantles into 8 boards,  the steel firetray, & 15sq.ft of THICK asbestos sheet, on which we put a 3" layer of  sand, on which to build the fire. The cooks like it - much back-ache is avoided thereby.
      and
      2] I just uploaded a picture of a couple of takedown chests, "in the white" - one assembled, and one dismantled. I expect the Moderators will "pass" that into my album in the next 24 hrs or so.
      YiS,
      Matthew,
      isolated from mainstream re-enacting in "old" Jersey

      --
      Halv

      Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat. -Saunders