handtool sources

  • Brian Tychonski
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2007
      Both Woodcraft and Rockler's have extensive (and reasonably expensive) tools available on their websites. If you go bargain hunting on their websites you can find reasonable things on sale. I recently got 4 different styles of half inch shafted router bits for $5.00 each. Another good place to check is... EBAY. I purchased two NEW sets of Marples brand chisels on Ebay a couple of years ago from a tool liquidater. Even though one gouge was defective (they replaced it so no big deal) I got 10 Marples chisels including a 6 piece set of carving chisels for UNDER $60 plu S&H. That's cheaper than buying half that many anywhere else.

      On the sharpening front, Sears has a low speed bench top sharpener for $35 that includes two adjustable tool rests, and a water reservoir to keep the tools from overheating. I'm waiting until I have a bit of time before I crack it out and let fly on my chisels. Almost everything I've been doing lately has involved using power tools.

      Just my two cents worth.

      Brian Broadaxe