Re: [MedievalSawdust] Banner Stand pics & a TYVM.

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007
      can you share the adress for the photos...

      I've just made a few, and I'd be interested in comparing the design.

      I'll try to take a picture and share it right back tomorrow....

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007
        Pray, are there any turners out there who have done any offset work? My Barony of Wiesenfeuer (meaning "Prairie Fire" in German) has requested a set of flame-shaped finials for the tops of their poles on the Baronial Pavilion. There will be approximately 30 of them, so I would really like to avoid having to carve them all by hand (as suggested by one turning instructor).

        Your help is appreciated.
        In Magical Service,
        Malaki
      • Ralph Lindberg
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Swanson"
          <tstar2000@...> wrote:

          > Pray, are there any turners out there who have done any offset work? My
          > Barony of Wiesenfeuer (meaning "Prairie Fire" in German) has
          requested a set
          > of flame-shaped finials for the tops of their poles on the Baronial
          > Pavilion. There will be approximately 30 of them, so I would really
          like to
          > avoid having to carve them all by hand (as suggested by one turning
          > instructor).

          I'm afraid I agree with the instructor. I probably would rough them
          on the lathe, then finish with carving.
          Actually I probably would just shape them on the lathe and leave it
          at that...

          Ralg
          AnTir
        • Tracy Swanson
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007
            It is a technique for shaping them that I seek. I envision a tapering teardrop-shaped finial that basically spirals as it tapers. I will have to carve each of these to resemble two layers (and colors) of flame, but would like to start out with the shape already turned and ready for detailing. I have theorized that I could turn a fat teardrop, then change the axis slightly, turning a section closer to the tip, then change the axis again and move down. This sounds good in theory, but again I (and those turners with whom I have discussed it) have no experience in multi-axis turning. Anyone with advise is encouraged to give me their two cents worth.

            In Magical Service,
            Malaki

            > Pray, are there any turners out there who have done any offset work? My
            > Barony of Wiesenfeuer (meaning "Prairie Fire" in German) has
            requested a set
            > of flame-shaped finials for the tops of their poles on the Baronial
            > Pavilion. There will be approximately 30 of them, so I would really
            like to
            > avoid having to carve them all by hand (as suggested by one turning
            > instructor).

            I'm afraid I agree with the instructor. I probably would rough them
            on the lathe, then finish with carving.
            Actually I probably would just shape them on the lathe and leave it
            at that...

            Ralg
            AnTir

          • Chuck Phillips
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007

              Malaki;

              While I have not attempted any multi-axis turning, it is high on my list of things to play with.  There is a good discussion of the principles involved in “Woodturning Methods” by Mike Darlow (ISBN 1-56523-125-2).

              This is a non-trivial project you have embarked upon.  I wish you the best of luck with it.

              Charles Joiner

              Caid

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 18, 2007
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Phillips" <chuck@...>
                wrote:

                > Malaki;
                >

                > While I have not attempted any multi-axis turning, it is high on my list
                > of things to play with. There is a good discussion of the principles
                > involved in "Woodturning Methods" by Mike Darlow (ISBN 1-56523-125-2).
                >

                > This is a non-trivial project you have embarked upon. I wish you the
                > best of luck with it.

                Non-trivial, good word

                The current issue of the American Assoc of Woodturners has an
                article on the Rose Engine. This could be a help. Check your local
                bookstore for a copy.

                Ralg
                AnTir
              • Tracy Swanson
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 18, 2007
                  Thanks for your response!

                  According to the books I have read, isn't a rose engine used primarily for the engraving of Spirograph-type designs?

                  Non-trivial, indeed. I do tend to take on projects that expand my pallet of abilities. What better forum than this to consolidate such talents? Thanks for the lead on the book - I will see if I can locate a copy.

                  This project is presently on the back burner until I repair the broken back on one of the short, cross-legged thrones. Entourage have the nasty habit of leaning on the back of the throne as they converse with the Crown (or in this case, Baron) who is seated during court. Even though these two uprights are about 2" x 4" (poplar), a 300 lb. Knight provides a LOT of leverage. Investigation showed that this one chair had been repaired three times in a very localized area. Previous repairs have included scarf joints and dowels, the latest being a combination of the two. Due to the damage to the wood I am replacing 6.5" of both upright supports, eliminating previous repairs and joining the new to the old with large mortise and tennons (this gives me the opportunity to try out the new drill press!). As a preventative measure I am contemplating a sign for the back of the thrones, sporting a curse to those who would unintentionally abuse these wonderful chairs. Alas...  ; )

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 19, 2007

                    When you do complete your flame-shaped finials, they’ll also need a carrying case.  That design sounds line a prime case of broken-off-flame-tip in the making.  I think something like an old six-pack case would be a good idea to protect those flames.

                    Will