RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Draw knives - What should a rookie use?

  • Heath Barlin
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 17, 2007

      As a former Woodcraft employee, I can attest that they are not cheap,
      but most of the ones we carried were from Lee Valley , or that Swedish
      company that now the name eludes me.

      Granfor Bruks?

    • Ralph Lindberg
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 17, 2007
        <baronconal@...> wrote:

        > www.leevalley.com

        Ya know, I've been getting their catalog on and off for years, but
        never been to a store. Last January I had some spare hours in the
        Vancouver BC area. So I went tool shopping, I went to Grizzly, KMS
        Tools, Island Turning, House of Tools and Lee Valley.
        I gotta tell ya the only place that disappointed me was Lee Valley.
        It was a show room, down to oak and glass display cases, that in one
        case only held one jointing plane.
        KMS, now that was a tool store. Tools, everywhere!!!

        TTFN
        Ralg
        AnTir
      • C N Schwartz
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 17, 2007

          Pfeil?

          It's a 2-Cherries one made in Germany I didn't like.  The blade was just rectilinear in cross section and the handles tended toward Continental style (small and egg shaped, sorta.) vice a British/American style handles (long and narrow chisel handle shaped.)  But that is my personal preference.

          Additionally...

          Good idea on going to the Woodcraft in Honolulu to look, even if you don't buy there.  Get your hands on one and hold it to see if it is comfortable to you.  If you ever find old tool dealers in one place that you meet in person, the thing to look for is, again, does it feel right in your hands?  Are the handles tight or do they twist around?  Does the tang go all the way through the handles and somehow screw or bend over or peen to the an end cap?  (I HATE it when a drawkife handle pops off.)

          Safety:  You are pulling a sharp blade toward you, yet the things are relatively safe when you use them.  It's hard to bring the blade ALL the way up to your torso.  The big danger, I have found, with drawknives is when you reach for one or someone passes one to you or you try to catch one that drops off the bench.  When one hand goes toward grabbing a drawknife it is amazing how often you grab a piece of edge.  Keep that in mind

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 19, 2007
            I have several draw knives I have picked up cheap in flea markets and antique stores, and they're ok.  But my favorite is a little jewel I ordered from Cape Forge.  The craftmanship is excellent, and it has a narrower blade than any other I have - making it great for concave curves, such as where the handle and bowl meet on a spoon.

            Hroþgar Fiscabana
            Barony of Small Gray Bear
            Gleann Abhann