Banner Stand pics & a TYVM.

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 17 12:20 PM
      Matthew Baker
      unto Master Charles Oakley,
      Greetings

      Good Master Charles,
      I do commend me unto you, and beg to advise you that I have just finished-off another "quick & dirty" version of your Banner Stand. ["quick & dirty" - means no "turned" parts - I don't have a lathe or the time]
      I shall be posting a couple of pictures in "Mathew Baker's Album" at the Medieval Encampments List. wherein interested Parties may see other things I've made for my "period encampment", since beginning from nothing, in May, 2003..

      Yours in Service, with many thanks for your inspiration,
       Matthew,
      in "old" Jersey.

    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 17 1:08 PM
        Most worth Matthew...

        Q&D is good...  Winking smiley emoticon

        I've often thought it would be fun to do a Q&D and then pass off the squarish top to a carver with the simple injunction "embellish this please"...  just to see what they come up with....   I look forward to seeing the pictures...

        Chas.
      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 17 2:33 PM
          James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
          Most worth Matthew...

          Q&D is good...  Winking smiley emoticon

          I've often thought it would be fun to do a Q&D and then pass off the squarish top to a carver with the simple injunction "embellish this please"...  just to see what they come up with....   I look forward to seeing the pictures...

          .

          REPLYGood Master Oakley,
          I don't know any carvers, locally, -  but had considered doing a little "detailing" with my little Makita trimmer. It's a fine mini-router as well, for "light work".
          Oh, and I forgot to mention, since I made the latest Banner Stand legs from offcuts of "stair-string stuff" in construction-grade pine, rather than any hardwood - [ it was available, and free] - I've reinforced the legs across the short-grain areas, by drilling-in from above and below, and glueing-in 1/2" hardwood dowels. Drilling-out for the 28mm dia. banner-staffs with hand-held power-tools  using flat-bits is not to be recommended, - the next one I make, I'll not be so lazy and impatient; - I'll set it up well-clamped-down on my big Pillar drill, to make sure the hole follows the centreline of the top-block.

          YIS,
           Matthew.

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 17 3:26 PM
            can you share the adress for the photos...

            I've just made a few, and I'd be interested in comparing the design.

            I'll try to take a picture and share it right back tomorrow....

            I do commend me unto you, and beg to advise you that I have just finished-off another "quick & dirty" version of your Banner Stand. ["quick & dirty" - means no "turned" parts - I don't have a lathe or the time]
            I shall be posting a couple of pictures in "Mathew Baker's Album" at the Medieval Encampments List. wherein interested Parties may see other things I've made for my "period encampment", since beginning from nothing, in May, 2003..

            Yours in Service, with many thanks for your inspiration,
             Matthew,
            in "old" Jersey.

            Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
          • Tracy Swanson
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 17 3:41 PM
              Pray, are there any turners out there who have done any offset work? My Barony of Wiesenfeuer (meaning "Prairie Fire" in German) has requested a set of flame-shaped finials for the tops of their poles on the Baronial Pavilion. There will be approximately 30 of them, so I would really like to avoid having to carve them all by hand (as suggested by one turning instructor).

              Your help is appreciated.
              In Magical Service,
              Malaki
            • Ralph Lindberg
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 17 5:04 PM
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Swanson"
                <tstar2000@...> wrote:

                > Pray, are there any turners out there who have done any offset work? My
                > Barony of Wiesenfeuer (meaning "Prairie Fire" in German) has
                requested a set
                > of flame-shaped finials for the tops of their poles on the Baronial
                > Pavilion. There will be approximately 30 of them, so I would really
                like to
                > avoid having to carve them all by hand (as suggested by one turning
                > instructor).

                I'm afraid I agree with the instructor. I probably would rough them
                on the lathe, then finish with carving.
                Actually I probably would just shape them on the lathe and leave it
                at that...

                Ralg
                AnTir
              • Tracy Swanson
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 17 9:29 PM
                  It is a technique for shaping them that I seek. I envision a tapering teardrop-shaped finial that basically spirals as it tapers. I will have to carve each of these to resemble two layers (and colors) of flame, but would like to start out with the shape already turned and ready for detailing. I have theorized that I could turn a fat teardrop, then change the axis slightly, turning a section closer to the tip, then change the axis again and move down. This sounds good in theory, but again I (and those turners with whom I have discussed it) have no experience in multi-axis turning. Anyone with advise is encouraged to give me their two cents worth.

                  In Magical Service,
                  Malaki

                  > Pray, are there any turners out there who have done any offset work? My
                  > Barony of Wiesenfeuer (meaning "Prairie Fire" in German) has
                  requested a set
                  > of flame-shaped finials for the tops of their poles on the Baronial
                  > Pavilion. There will be approximately 30 of them, so I would really
                  like to
                  > avoid having to carve them all by hand (as suggested by one turning
                  > instructor).

                  I'm afraid I agree with the instructor. I probably would rough them
                  on the lathe, then finish with carving.
                  Actually I probably would just shape them on the lathe and leave it
                  at that...

                  Ralg
                  AnTir

                • Chuck Phillips
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 17 11:47 PM

                    Malaki;

                    While I have not attempted any multi-axis turning, it is high on my list of things to play with.  There is a good discussion of the principles involved in “Woodturning Methods” by Mike Darlow (ISBN 1-56523-125-2).

                    This is a non-trivial project you have embarked upon.  I wish you the best of luck with it.

                    Charles Joiner

                    Caid

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 18 7:45 AM
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Phillips" <chuck@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Malaki;
                      >

                      > While I have not attempted any multi-axis turning, it is high on my list
                      > of things to play with. There is a good discussion of the principles
                      > involved in "Woodturning Methods" by Mike Darlow (ISBN 1-56523-125-2).
                      >

                      > This is a non-trivial project you have embarked upon. I wish you the
                      > best of luck with it.

                      Non-trivial, good word

                      The current issue of the American Assoc of Woodturners has an
                      article on the Rose Engine. This could be a help. Check your local
                      bookstore for a copy.

                      Ralg
                      AnTir
                    • Tracy Swanson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 18 8:36 AM
                        Thanks for your response!

                        According to the books I have read, isn't a rose engine used primarily for the engraving of Spirograph-type designs?

                        Non-trivial, indeed. I do tend to take on projects that expand my pallet of abilities. What better forum than this to consolidate such talents? Thanks for the lead on the book - I will see if I can locate a copy.

                        This project is presently on the back burner until I repair the broken back on one of the short, cross-legged thrones. Entourage have the nasty habit of leaning on the back of the throne as they converse with the Crown (or in this case, Baron) who is seated during court. Even though these two uprights are about 2" x 4" (poplar), a 300 lb. Knight provides a LOT of leverage. Investigation showed that this one chair had been repaired three times in a very localized area. Previous repairs have included scarf joints and dowels, the latest being a combination of the two. Due to the damage to the wood I am replacing 6.5" of both upright supports, eliminating previous repairs and joining the new to the old with large mortise and tennons (this gives me the opportunity to try out the new drill press!). As a preventative measure I am contemplating a sign for the back of the thrones, sporting a curse to those who would unintentionally abuse these wonderful chairs. Alas...  ; )

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 19 7:46 AM

                          When you do complete your flame-shaped finials, they’ll also need a carrying case.  That design sounds line a prime case of broken-off-flame-tip in the making.  I think something like an old six-pack case would be a good idea to protect those flames.

                          Will