Re: Draw knives - What should a rookie use?

  • Dawn Perez
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 17, 2007
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Rebekah d'Avignon
      <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

      > FWIW - I'm one of those people who believes that you can't run any
      faster or make any more baskets with a pair of $200 tennis shoes than
      you can with a pair of $20 tennis shoes. Skill plays a big part in the
      game and it's the same with woodworking. I've seen draw knives at both
      Rockler and WoodCraft - they are not cheap, but should definitely be
      under $100.

      As a former Woodcraft employee, I can attest that they are not cheap,
      but most of the ones we carried were from Lee Valley, or that Swedish
      company that now the name eludes me. So, if you have a woodcraft
      nearby, check them out. Lots of hand tools that you just don't find
      in any ole hardware store, and chisels of every size and shape (if you
      are into carving!).

      Albina the wood sprite
    • Heath Barlin
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 17, 2007

        As a former Woodcraft employee, I can attest that they are not cheap,
        but most of the ones we carried were from Lee Valley , or that Swedish
        company that now the name eludes me.

        Granfor Bruks?

      • Ralph Lindberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 17, 2007
          <baronconal@...> wrote:

          > www.leevalley.com

          Ya know, I've been getting their catalog on and off for years, but
          never been to a store. Last January I had some spare hours in the
          Vancouver BC area. So I went tool shopping, I went to Grizzly, KMS
          Tools, Island Turning, House of Tools and Lee Valley.
          I gotta tell ya the only place that disappointed me was Lee Valley.
          It was a show room, down to oak and glass display cases, that in one
          case only held one jointing plane.
          KMS, now that was a tool store. Tools, everywhere!!!

          TTFN
          Ralg
          AnTir
        • C N Schwartz
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 17, 2007

            Pfeil?

            It's a 2-Cherries one made in Germany I didn't like.  The blade was just rectilinear in cross section and the handles tended toward Continental style (small and egg shaped, sorta.) vice a British/American style handles (long and narrow chisel handle shaped.)  But that is my personal preference.

            Additionally...

            Good idea on going to the Woodcraft in Honolulu to look, even if you don't buy there.  Get your hands on one and hold it to see if it is comfortable to you.  If you ever find old tool dealers in one place that you meet in person, the thing to look for is, again, does it feel right in your hands?  Are the handles tight or do they twist around?  Does the tang go all the way through the handles and somehow screw or bend over or peen to the an end cap?  (I HATE it when a drawkife handle pops off.)

            Safety:  You are pulling a sharp blade toward you, yet the things are relatively safe when you use them.  It's hard to bring the blade ALL the way up to your torso.  The big danger, I have found, with drawknives is when you reach for one or someone passes one to you or you try to catch one that drops off the bench.  When one hand goes toward grabbing a drawknife it is amazing how often you grab a piece of edge.  Keep that in mind

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 19, 2007
              I have several draw knives I have picked up cheap in flea markets and antique stores, and they're ok.  But my favorite is a little jewel I ordered from Cape Forge.  The craftmanship is excellent, and it has a narrower blade than any other I have - making it great for concave curves, such as where the handle and bowl meet on a spoon.

              Hroþgar Fiscabana
              Barony of Small Gray Bear
              Gleann Abhann