Re: Pennsic?

  • Alessandro dEste
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:
      > Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd see who is
      going to be
      > at Pennsic this year. Looks like I will make it this time (flying
      not
      > driving)! I won't have a booth myself, but will be hanging out
      mostly at
      > Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks). Come by and say hello!
      >
      > Colin

      My lady and I will not be able to make Pennsic this year,Tho we had
      made plans to do so. (It would have been our first)
      The cost is what is keeping us from attending.
      Most of our gear we have had to replace do to the flooding this year.
      Even our gear trailer was effected by the high waters here in north
      central Indiana.I wanted new camp box's and furniture but did not
      plan on having to make all new so soon. Thank heavens our new pather
      marquie was up in the house and not out in the trailer.
      Next year we will be there "Hell or High Water"lol
      IYS.
      Alessandro dEste
    • Brian D. Murphy
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
        I'll be there...camping in the Midlands encampment.

        Bran

        Bran Du ap Dafydd

        Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd see who is going to be
        at Pennsic this year.  Looks like I will make it this time (flying not
        driving)!  I won't have a booth myself, but will be hanging out mostly at
        Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks).  Come by and say hello!

        Colin
      • Stefan von Kiel
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 14, 2003
          I'll be there too. Also without a booth but I will have items for sale in a
          friend's booth, Northstar Armoury. I'm only going for a few days around the
          middle weekend.

          Stefan von Kiel
          Dwarven Axe Armoury
          www.dwarvenaxe.com

          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 14, 2003
            Hi there folks,

            I will be there as normal in booth #164 Jactance stop by we can talk more wood. I would also like to know if people are interested in having critique times, you no, bring pictures or pieces to chat about. Let me know if folks are up for it.

            In service
            Hal Raeburn

          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
              I know there's a few professionals on the list, so I was hoping to get
              some advice. How does one go about pricing their work? I'm not
              looking to make a living from furniture sales (cause then it would be
              work and wouldn't be fun) but I'd like to offset the cost of the SCA.

              So far, I've only made one piece that I planned to sell, but between
              not knowing what to charge and my wife complaining the house has none
              of my stuff (the cobbler's son has no shoes?), I never sold it.

              Here's the piece:
              http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/chest.jpg

              I don't remember how long it took to build. It's all wood construction
              (pegged), with linenfold front and boarded sides and back. The hinges
              are hand-made. The material is red oak. Any suggestions on how to
              price something like this?

              Thanks,
              Ulrich

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Cockerel Woodworks
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003

                Nice. I would probably ask around $500 USD.

                Ulfgar

                Cockerel Woodworks

                Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

                View our gallery!

                http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

[...]

              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
                  My guess $1000-1200. Go to New York City and look at the prices.

                  James Cunningham
                • Tim Bray
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
                    Pricing is really, really difficult. For me anyway, and judging by what I
                    read and the number of times this question comes up, I'm not the only
                    one. Since you are not trying to make a living at it (for a very good and
                    well-stated reason), the usual advice about figuring an hourly rate does
                    not apply.

                    When you get right down to it, an object is worth what someone will pay for
                    it. It's very difficult to figure that out in advance, until you get a lot
                    of experience, which will bring a general sense of what people will pay.

                    A big part of it is marketing. Two identical pieces of furniture might
                    sell for dramatically different prices, depending on how they are
                    marketed. The SCA market is notoriously cheap, although there is a very
                    small percentage that recognize quality and will pay for it. So you need a
                    lot of exposure, in order to get noticed by those people.

                    Figure out what you think it's worth, add 25% to 50%, and ask for that. If
                    you can't sell it for that, lower the price or do more marketing. Keep
                    marketing and adjusting the price until it sells. Then you know exactly
                    how to price the next one! :-D

                    It's generally easier to lower your price than to raise it. OTOH,
                    sometimes *raising* your prices will generate *more* interest in your
                    work... bizarre, but sometimes true.

                    Now, about your chest... that looks really good! Kind of a hybrid of
                    styles, but nicely done. I probably wouldn't make something like that for
                    less than $500, maybe more depending on those hinges... did you make them
                    yourself, or buy them?

                    Good luck,
                    Colin

                    Albion Works
                    Furniture and Accessories
                    For the Medievalist!
                    www.albionworks.net
                    www.albionworks.com
                  • Tim Bray
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
                      I will be there as normal in booth #164 Jactance stop by we can talk more wood. I would also like to know if people are interested in having critique times, you no, bring pictures or pieces to chat about. Let me know if folks are up for it.

                      Good idea Hal, I will try to bring some photos and look you up.  Wish I could bring some pieces, but logistics are against me.  Unless I can persuade Bob to bring that chest out from Maryland with him...

                      See you there!

                      Colin

                      Albion Works
                      Furniture and Accessories
                      For the Medievalist!
                    • Joseph Hayes
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                        > Since you are not trying to make a living at it (for a very
                        > good and well-stated reason), the usual advice about figuring an
                        > hourly rate does not apply.

                        What's a good starting point for hourly rate? Minimum wage? I have no
                        idea what a modern entry-level cabinetmaker earns. Do people mark up
                        the cost of materials?

                        > The SCA market is notoriously cheap

                        That's for sure! There's too many crafty people. I wish I had a buck
                        for every time I hear someone say, "I can make that."

                        > Now, about your chest... that looks really good! Kind of a hybrid of
                        > styles, but nicely done.

                        Thanks. It's based on two examples. One in "Oak Furniture: The
                        British Tradition" by Chinnery and the other is in the Cleveland Museum
                        of Art. I chose it for the same reasons (I think) as the original
                        builders: It's all boards, no large dimension stiles are needed.

                        > I probably wouldn't make something like that for less than $500,

                        Wow, my initial thought $300.

                        > maybe more depending on those hinges... did you make them
                        > yourself, or buy them?

                        I bought them from a shire member who smiths. I think he charged me
                        $20. I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                        furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                        right hardware.

                        Ulrich

                        http://sbc.yahoo.com
                      • Tim Bray
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                          >My guess $1000-1200. Go to New York City and look at the prices.

                          Keep in mind that the gallery commission is often around 50%. If it was
                          consigned to a gallery and they sold it for $1200, Ulrich would probably
                          get about $600. That's the power of marketing! ;-)

                          Cheers,
                          Colin

                          Albion Works
                          Furniture and Accessories
                          For the Medievalist!
                          www.albionworks.net
                          www.albionworks.com
                        • Stefan von Kiel
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                            I have always undercharged for my work. I had to create a table that has
                            all materials that I would have to purchase. If I purchase 8 board feet of
                            hard maple to make a project that will use 6 bf when completed, I use 8 bf
                            in my table since this is what I will have to purchase. I also include
                            expendables like sandpaper, rags, etc. I then use an hourly rate of $20 per
                            hour. I found that once I figure out the cost, it is still reasonably
                            priced. My trestle legs have gone up in price since I now use a mortise &
                            tenon joint to attach the cross support. This has added more time to the
                            construction but the result is a better trestle. People seem to be happy
                            paying a little more for the sturdier trestles.

                            Stefan von Kiel
                            Dwarven Axe Armoury
                            www.dwarvenaxe.com

                          • Tim Bray
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                              >What's a good starting point for hourly rate? Minimum wage?

                              Depends. Are you really trying to make a living at it? Do you have
                              insurance coverage through a spouse or other job? How much training or
                              experience do you have? etc...

                              > I have no
                              >idea what a modern entry-level cabinetmaker earns.

                              Depends. Location, experience, market conditions... Right now an
                              entry-level guy in a commercial shop probably won't be getting much more
                              than grunt wages, probably less than $10/hour. An experienced guy in a top
                              market area probably can't get much more than $30/hour. Cabinetmaking is a
                              tough business right now.

                              > Do people mark up
                              >the cost of materials?

                              No, I just build them into my price. What I do is design the piece, make a
                              WAG of how long it will take me to complete, figure out how much I want to
                              make, and add the materials costs plus incidentals. I'm almost always too
                              low - I don't make much over $10/hour most of the time.

                              The way I figure materials is to add up the board footage in the piece, add
                              at least 30% for waste, and add an allowance for consumables (sandpaper,
                              finish, etc.).

                              Your price also has to pay back the cost of your tools, and pay for new
                              blades, power consumption, and a host of other little things that add up.

                              >That's for sure! There's too many crafty people. I wish I had a buck
                              >for every time I hear someone say, "I can make that."

                              What I need is a way to turn compliments into cash. A friend suggested I
                              put out a large jar, and charge 25 cents every time someone says "Very nice
                              work, m'lord." :-D

                              Don't get me wrong, I love those compliments, but they are too rarely
                              followed by sales!

                              > > I probably wouldn't make something like that for less than $500,
                              >
                              >Wow, my initial thought $300.

                              Two years ago that's probably what I would have said too. But that would
                              be sub-minimum wage, at least for the amount of time I would put into
                              it. If you work faster than me, you can charge less and still make
                              more. I put a _lot_ of time into details and finishing - cutting chamfers,
                              easing edges, sanding and scraping. And as I noted above, there are a lot
                              of expenses that have to get paid out of that price.

                              >I bought them from a shire member who smiths. I think he charged me
                              >$20.

                              Give me that guy's name, I want to order a dozen.

                              >I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                              >furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                              >right hardware.

                              Hardware is a big problem for us medievalists. Forging it yourself is
                              definitely a good way to go, but then you have to get paid for that work,
                              too. My solution is to make pin-hinged clamped-front chests. ;-)

                              Cheers,
                              Colin

                              Albion Works
                              Furniture and Accessories
                              For the Medievalist!
                              www.albionworks.net
                              www.albionworks.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
                                Unless there is a lot of carving
                                I've found that in the SCA you are
                                lucky if you can get twice the cost
                                of materials.

                                I've been considering trying to find
                                a local store front to do consignment
                                through, there I could get something
                                more like the actual value of the piece.

                                =====
                                Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                http://sbc.yahoo.com
                              • Scott Lane
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
                                  > >I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                                  > >furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                                  > >right hardware.
                                  >Hardware is a big problem for us medievalists. Forging it yourself is
                                  >definitely a good way to go, but then you have to get paid for that work,
                                  >too. My solution is to make pin-hinged clamped-front chests. ;-)

                                  I am in the process of finishing a whole bunch of hinges for
                                  chests (15+)... They are all spoken for but once I get them done I would
                                  be more than willing to make more, as well as other hardware. If anyone is
                                  interested in traditional forged hardware send me an e-mail at:
                                  scotty@...

                                  In Service,
                                  Aodhfin
                                • Cockerel Woodworks

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
                                      >I've been considering trying to find
                                      >a local store front to do consignment
                                      >through, there I could get something
                                      >more like the actual value of the piece.

                                      Minus the store's commission, of course. Which can be substantial;
                                      galleries take as much as 50% of the sales price. So you still aren't
                                      getting the "actual value" if that is the same as the sales price. But a
                                      good gallery _adds value_ to your work, by effectively marketing and
                                      presenting it. And if you count the time and cost of going to events to
                                      sell stuff, on balance you are going to be way ahead letting someone else
                                      do that for a 50% commission. Then you can go to events just to have a
                                      good time, instead of being tied to the booth.

                                      Cheers,
                                      Colin

                                      Albion Works
                                      Furniture and Accessories
                                      For the Medievalist!
                                      www.albionworks.net
                                      www.albionworks.com
                                    • Hal and Julia
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 18, 2003
                                        Hi there folks, I have been selling my reproductions and adaptations for over ten years now. I first stated selling them in the SCA as a way of off setting my cost to do effects. My prices were low and I got so many comitions that I could not keep up with orders. In the end I raised my prices to reflect the cost of my art and to slow down the number of orders I received. I now sell to allsorts of people, with reproductions range from Roman to Modern. In the end pricing becomes is a balance of several things your time, your materials, and your art witch can be very emotional.

                                        In service
                                        Hal Raeburn, OL

                                      • Cockerel Woodworks

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 19, 2003
                                            No, I have not had the time yet to complete one.

                                            Hal