me first Bog Chair

  • Crimthann
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2007
      So my very first woodworking project for the SCA was a personal Bog
      Chair/Stargazer chair. I know, not really period. With the first one
      in splinters under me I soon realized that (1" x 10") pine boards
      wouldn't even support even my lithe 180 lbs frame. Next I tried Poplar
      wood. That lasted about 3 or 4 tries before collapsing. What, dear
      folk, am I doing wrong?
    • Johann Friedrich
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2007
        I would suggest using 2" material rather than 1". The thinner material
        just can't handle the stresses in that design.

        On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Crimthann wrote:

        > So my very first woodworking project for the SCA was a personal Bog
        > Chair/Stargazer chair. I know, not really period. With the first one
        > in splinters under me I soon realized that (1" x 10") pine boards
        > wouldn't even support even my lithe 180 lbs frame. Next I tried Poplar
        > wood. That lasted about 3 or 4 tries before collapsing. What, dear
        > folk, am I doing wrong?

        Ken Bowley yahoo@...
        AKA: Herr Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
      • Barbara Shelanskey
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2007
          So my very first woodworking project for the SCA was a personal Bog
          Chair/Stargazer chair. I know, not really period. With the first one
          in splinters under me I soon realized that (1" x 10") pine boards
          wouldn't even support even my lithe 180 lbs frame. Next I tried Poplar
          wood. That lasted about 3 or 4 tries before collapsing. What, dear
          folk, am I doing wrong?
          -----------------------------

          You need to use 2" thick wood. 1" just isn't made for that, especially chairs
          of that design.

          ~Tatjana

          "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

          Wolf and Tiger Woodworking has new items in stock now!
          http://www.wolfandtiger.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 17, 2007

            So my very first woodworking project for the SCA was a personal Bog
            Chair/Stargazer chair. I know, not really period. With the first one
            in splinters under me I soon realized that (1" x 10") pine boards
            wouldn't even support even my lithe 180 lbs frame. Next I tried Poplar
            wood. That lasted about 3 or 4 tries before collapsing. What, dear
            folk, am I doing wrong?

            ==============

            try a pine 2x12..... Once you get to that size boards the quality of the wood goes up and you get yellow pine in stead of white pine or fir. MUCH stronger....

            8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
          • Rebekah d'Avignon
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 17, 2007
              Don't know about Bog chairs, but I've used 1 x 12 pine for bookcases with no problems yet. A lot depends not only on the weight, but the span. For books the longest unsupported span is about 32". If I was considering an entertainment center with an older tube tv (and I am), I would think about some type of cross-brace in the center. Just a thought.

              ============ ==

              try a pine 2x12..... Once you get to that size boards the quality of the wood goes up and you get yellow pine in stead of white pine or fir. MUCH stronger....

              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

              If I understand it correctly - American jobs are going to Mexico while Mexicans are crossing the border looking for work.

            • julian wilson
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 17, 2007
                Rebekah d'Avignon <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:
                Don't know about Bog chairs, but I've used 1 x 12 pine for bookcases with no problems yet. A lot depends not only on the weight, but the span. For books the longest unsupported span is about 32". If I was considering an entertainment center with an older tube tv (and I am), I would think about some type of cross-brace in the center. Just a thought.
                .
                COMMENT
                I was taught that, for "library" shelves, one should calculate for a minimum of 11lbs weight per foot run of shelf to carry 9.5" x 6.5" format books., and size the timber thickness accordingly.
                1" [nominal] x 8"/9" (nominal) over a 32" span will just-about do it spaced to carry 9.5" x 6.5" format books. For larger formats - say 10" x 12" - I routinely use 1.25" x 12" (nominal) knot-free pine. Or high-grade multi-Ply, edged.
                I haven't had any of my Customers complain this wasn't working, -  over a near-40-year period.

                What I'd use for a "star-gazer chair" - if a Customer asked for one and I couldn't convince  them to choose another design, instead, - I don't know. It's a non-SCA-period and "yukky" design, and there are flat-pack designs out there with a far-more "period" feel to them. Glastonbury chairs are nice, and not too complex to make. Savonarola chairs need a lot of prep-work to get all the jigs and dimensions right, - and I wouldn't do all that just to make one. A short production run for 4 or more units would make it worthwhile, though.
                But if I really needed to make a "stargazer chair", then I'd probably use 1.25" (actual) thick Ash or White Oak, Certainly not the quality of Pine I can buy off-the-shelf at my local [and only] Island Timber Supplier.

                For an entertainment centre, I'd look carefully at the TV-weight, and the width of the sub-units - video, satellite box, dvd player, &c, that one might wish to place underneath the TV, and set my load-bearing uprights as close as possible to each-other within the "carcass", allowing only just-enough clearance to slip the sub-units into place. Always assuming, of course, that my Customer couldn't afford a light-weight Plasma widescreen TV.

                Julian,
                isolated in "old" Jersey.

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007

                  He’s right; pine and poplar are both soft woods.  (You’ll notice that I don’t say “softwoods.”)  They’re not strong enough to hold someone your size in a Bog Chair.  In pine you will need between 1 & ½” and 2” thick.  Poplar might

                  I would suggest using 2" material rather than 1". The thinner material
                  just can't handle the stresses in that design.  I’ve had success with 1 & ¼” wood using north American white oak.

                  So either go with thicker wood or a hardwood like oak or ash.

                  Will

                  On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Crimthann wrote:

                  > So my very first woodworking project for the SCA was a personal Bog
                  > Chair/Stargazer chair. I know, not really period. With the first one
                  > in splinters under me I soon realized that (1" x 10") pine boards
                  > wouldn't even support even my lithe 180 lbs frame. Next I tried Poplar
                  > wood. That lasted about 3 or 4 tries before collapsing. What, dear
                  > folk, am I doing wrong?