RE: [medievalsawdust] clear coat top finish

  • Cockerel Woodworks
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2003

      You should be able to use any market standard polyurethane over acrylic paint and stain. If the stain is a turpentine base though, you should seal the surface with a neutral sealer (i.e. shellac) first. Otherwise I would recommend a coat of Tung or Danish oil. Both should dry within 24 hours ready for use. Ultimately –for a fairly authentic finish- I would recommend thinned (50% / 50%) boiled linseed and gum turpentine mix, several coats, wiped down. However this does take a week or more to cure…..

      Ulfgar

      Cockerel Woodworks

      Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

      View our gallery!

      http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel