RE: [MedievalSawdust] Wood/Metal spinning was Tools (was: Pierced French stool)

  • Tracy Swanson
    Message 1 of 46 , Feb 25, 2007
      I finally found my class notes on the metal spinning issue, only to find that the reference was not included. Not wishing to disappoint, I searched out the email address of Dave Hout and wrote the following:

      Greetings Dave!

      I attended the wood turner's seminar in Temple TX this last fall where I enjoyed both of your classes, Vacuum Chucking and Metal Spinning. During your Metal Spinning class you mentioned that metal spinning was the predecessor to wood turning. I was wondering what your source for that information might be?

      I belong to a group called the Society for Creative Anachronism, which studies and recreates the Middle Ages. Within this group is a Yahoo chat group called Medieval Sawdust, who's interests are the study of period methods of building in wood. When I mentioned your statement to the group several thought you to be in error. With the name of the reference at hand I will be able to back up your statement to the group and further the knowledge of those involved at the same time.

      Thank you for your help with this matter and keep up the great work!

      DC Swanson

      Magic Mouse Productions

      His response is as follows:

      "The info about the history of metal spinning is from the Metal Forming and Spinning Association. They have produced a video and they site pieces found about 5000 years ago in Mesopotamia that were spun over clay forms from a potters wheel. The pieces were made of lead which could be formed using only a stick. I have been told by several wood turners who have researched that turning dates back to about 3500 years and the use of metal edged cutting tools. I do not know their sources.

      I hope this helps,

      Dave"