Re: [MedievalSawdust] Yet another dangerous website

  • ariannall@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2007
      Bruges is a really lovely city. It's been called "the Venice of the North" because of it's canals.

      My understanding is that Bruges (in Belgium now) was a thriving center for linen fold panels. It was (among other cities) very well known for the work...perhaps a part of the whole Flanders\low countries linen economy. So I think that Charles is right that they do mean to indicate the city of origin.

      Arianna