Pennsic?

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 12, 2003
      Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd see who is going to be
      at Pennsic this year. Looks like I will make it this time (flying not
      driving)! I won't have a booth myself, but will be hanging out mostly at
      Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks). Come by and say hello!

      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      www.albionworks.net
      www.albionworks.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
        I'll be there!

        --- Tim Bray <tbray@...> wrote:
        > Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd
        > see who is going to be
        > at Pennsic this year. Looks like I will make it
        > this time (flying not
        > driving)! I won't have a booth myself, but will be
        > hanging out mostly at
        > Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks). Come by and
        > say hello!
        >
        > Colin
        >

        > Albion Works
        > Furniture and Accessories
        > For the Medievalist!
        > www.albionworks.net
        > www.albionworks.com

        =====
        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Rob Hicks
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
          I'll be there, so I should introduce myself.
          I am Dunstan Bramblette (Rob Hicks) and am currently
          working at Hal Raeburn's shop and have been rather
          solid this year, but on and off for the last 3 years.

          Me and my lady will be camping with House Raeburn,
          from time to time I should be seen in the Jactance
          booth.

          -Dunstan

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • GrimaldR@aol.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
            As will I. I'll be camped with Silver Channel
          • Alessandro dEste
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:
              > Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd see who is
              going to be
              > at Pennsic this year. Looks like I will make it this time (flying
              not
              > driving)! I won't have a booth myself, but will be hanging out
              mostly at
              > Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks). Come by and say hello!
              >
              > Colin

              My lady and I will not be able to make Pennsic this year,Tho we had
              made plans to do so. (It would have been our first)
              The cost is what is keeping us from attending.
              Most of our gear we have had to replace do to the flooding this year.
              Even our gear trailer was effected by the high waters here in north
              central Indiana.I wanted new camp box's and furniture but did not
              plan on having to make all new so soon. Thank heavens our new pather
              marquie was up in the house and not out in the trailer.
              Next year we will be there "Hell or High Water"lol
              IYS.
              Alessandro dEste
            • Brian D. Murphy
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
                I'll be there...camping in the Midlands encampment.

                Bran

                Bran Du ap Dafydd

                Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd see who is going to be
                at Pennsic this year.  Looks like I will make it this time (flying not
                driving)!  I won't have a booth myself, but will be hanging out mostly at
                Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks).  Come by and say hello!

                Colin
              • Stefan von Kiel
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 14, 2003
                  I'll be there too. Also without a booth but I will have items for sale in a
                  friend's booth, Northstar Armoury. I'm only going for a few days around the
                  middle weekend.

                  Stefan von Kiel
                  Dwarven Axe Armoury
                  www.dwarvenaxe.com

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 14, 2003
                    Hi there folks,

                    I will be there as normal in booth #164 Jactance stop by we can talk more wood. I would also like to know if people are interested in having critique times, you no, bring pictures or pieces to chat about. Let me know if folks are up for it.

                    In service
                    Hal Raeburn

                  • Joseph Hayes
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
                      I know there's a few professionals on the list, so I was hoping to get
                      some advice. How does one go about pricing their work? I'm not
                      looking to make a living from furniture sales (cause then it would be
                      work and wouldn't be fun) but I'd like to offset the cost of the SCA.

                      So far, I've only made one piece that I planned to sell, but between
                      not knowing what to charge and my wife complaining the house has none
                      of my stuff (the cobbler's son has no shoes?), I never sold it.

                      Here's the piece:
                      http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/chest.jpg

                      I don't remember how long it took to build. It's all wood construction
                      (pegged), with linenfold front and boarded sides and back. The hinges
                      are hand-made. The material is red oak. Any suggestions on how to
                      price something like this?

                      Thanks,
                      Ulrich

                      http://sbc.yahoo.com
                    • Cockerel Woodworks
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003

                        Nice. I would probably ask around $500 USD.

                        Ulfgar

                        Cockerel Woodworks

                        Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

                        View our gallery!

                        http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

[...]

                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
                          My guess $1000-1200. Go to New York City and look at the prices.

                          James Cunningham
                        • Tim Bray
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
                            Pricing is really, really difficult. For me anyway, and judging by what I
                            read and the number of times this question comes up, I'm not the only
                            one. Since you are not trying to make a living at it (for a very good and
                            well-stated reason), the usual advice about figuring an hourly rate does
                            not apply.

                            When you get right down to it, an object is worth what someone will pay for
                            it. It's very difficult to figure that out in advance, until you get a lot
                            of experience, which will bring a general sense of what people will pay.

                            A big part of it is marketing. Two identical pieces of furniture might
                            sell for dramatically different prices, depending on how they are
                            marketed. The SCA market is notoriously cheap, although there is a very
                            small percentage that recognize quality and will pay for it. So you need a
                            lot of exposure, in order to get noticed by those people.

                            Figure out what you think it's worth, add 25% to 50%, and ask for that. If
                            you can't sell it for that, lower the price or do more marketing. Keep
                            marketing and adjusting the price until it sells. Then you know exactly
                            how to price the next one! :-D

                            It's generally easier to lower your price than to raise it. OTOH,
                            sometimes *raising* your prices will generate *more* interest in your
                            work... bizarre, but sometimes true.

                            Now, about your chest... that looks really good! Kind of a hybrid of
                            styles, but nicely done. I probably wouldn't make something like that for
                            less than $500, maybe more depending on those hinges... did you make them
                            yourself, or buy them?

                            Good luck,
                            Colin

                            Albion Works
                            Furniture and Accessories
                            For the Medievalist!
                            www.albionworks.net
                            www.albionworks.com
                          • Tim Bray
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
                              I will be there as normal in booth #164 Jactance stop by we can talk more wood. I would also like to know if people are interested in having critique times, you no, bring pictures or pieces to chat about. Let me know if folks are up for it.

                              Good idea Hal, I will try to bring some photos and look you up.  Wish I could bring some pieces, but logistics are against me.  Unless I can persuade Bob to bring that chest out from Maryland with him...

                              See you there!

                              Colin

                              Albion Works
                              Furniture and Accessories
                              For the Medievalist!
                            • Joseph Hayes
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                                > Since you are not trying to make a living at it (for a very
                                > good and well-stated reason), the usual advice about figuring an
                                > hourly rate does not apply.

                                What's a good starting point for hourly rate? Minimum wage? I have no
                                idea what a modern entry-level cabinetmaker earns. Do people mark up
                                the cost of materials?

                                > The SCA market is notoriously cheap

                                That's for sure! There's too many crafty people. I wish I had a buck
                                for every time I hear someone say, "I can make that."

                                > Now, about your chest... that looks really good! Kind of a hybrid of
                                > styles, but nicely done.

                                Thanks. It's based on two examples. One in "Oak Furniture: The
                                British Tradition" by Chinnery and the other is in the Cleveland Museum
                                of Art. I chose it for the same reasons (I think) as the original
                                builders: It's all boards, no large dimension stiles are needed.

                                > I probably wouldn't make something like that for less than $500,

                                Wow, my initial thought $300.

                                > maybe more depending on those hinges... did you make them
                                > yourself, or buy them?

                                I bought them from a shire member who smiths. I think he charged me
                                $20. I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                                furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                                right hardware.

                                Ulrich

                                http://sbc.yahoo.com
                              • Tim Bray
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                                  >My guess $1000-1200. Go to New York City and look at the prices.

                                  Keep in mind that the gallery commission is often around 50%. If it was
                                  consigned to a gallery and they sold it for $1200, Ulrich would probably
                                  get about $600. That's the power of marketing! ;-)

                                  Cheers,
                                  Colin

                                  Albion Works
                                  Furniture and Accessories
                                  For the Medievalist!
                                  www.albionworks.net
                                  www.albionworks.com
                                • Stefan von Kiel
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                                    I have always undercharged for my work. I had to create a table that has
                                    all materials that I would have to purchase. If I purchase 8 board feet of
                                    hard maple to make a project that will use 6 bf when completed, I use 8 bf
                                    in my table since this is what I will have to purchase. I also include
                                    expendables like sandpaper, rags, etc. I then use an hourly rate of $20 per
                                    hour. I found that once I figure out the cost, it is still reasonably
                                    priced. My trestle legs have gone up in price since I now use a mortise &
                                    tenon joint to attach the cross support. This has added more time to the
                                    construction but the result is a better trestle. People seem to be happy
                                    paying a little more for the sturdier trestles.

                                    Stefan von Kiel
                                    Dwarven Axe Armoury
                                    www.dwarvenaxe.com

                                  • Tim Bray
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                                      >What's a good starting point for hourly rate? Minimum wage?

                                      Depends. Are you really trying to make a living at it? Do you have
                                      insurance coverage through a spouse or other job? How much training or
                                      experience do you have? etc...

                                      > I have no
                                      >idea what a modern entry-level cabinetmaker earns.

                                      Depends. Location, experience, market conditions... Right now an
                                      entry-level guy in a commercial shop probably won't be getting much more
                                      than grunt wages, probably less than $10/hour. An experienced guy in a top
                                      market area probably can't get much more than $30/hour. Cabinetmaking is a
                                      tough business right now.

                                      > Do people mark up
                                      >the cost of materials?

                                      No, I just build them into my price. What I do is design the piece, make a
                                      WAG of how long it will take me to complete, figure out how much I want to
                                      make, and add the materials costs plus incidentals. I'm almost always too
                                      low - I don't make much over $10/hour most of the time.

                                      The way I figure materials is to add up the board footage in the piece, add
                                      at least 30% for waste, and add an allowance for consumables (sandpaper,
                                      finish, etc.).

                                      Your price also has to pay back the cost of your tools, and pay for new
                                      blades, power consumption, and a host of other little things that add up.

                                      >That's for sure! There's too many crafty people. I wish I had a buck
                                      >for every time I hear someone say, "I can make that."

                                      What I need is a way to turn compliments into cash. A friend suggested I
                                      put out a large jar, and charge 25 cents every time someone says "Very nice
                                      work, m'lord." :-D

                                      Don't get me wrong, I love those compliments, but they are too rarely
                                      followed by sales!

                                      > > I probably wouldn't make something like that for less than $500,
                                      >
                                      >Wow, my initial thought $300.

                                      Two years ago that's probably what I would have said too. But that would
                                      be sub-minimum wage, at least for the amount of time I would put into
                                      it. If you work faster than me, you can charge less and still make
                                      more. I put a _lot_ of time into details and finishing - cutting chamfers,
                                      easing edges, sanding and scraping. And as I noted above, there are a lot
                                      of expenses that have to get paid out of that price.

                                      >I bought them from a shire member who smiths. I think he charged me
                                      >$20.

                                      Give me that guy's name, I want to order a dozen.

                                      >I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                                      >furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                                      >right hardware.

                                      Hardware is a big problem for us medievalists. Forging it yourself is
                                      definitely a good way to go, but then you have to get paid for that work,
                                      too. My solution is to make pin-hinged clamped-front chests. ;-)

                                      Cheers,
                                      Colin

                                      Albion Works
                                      Furniture and Accessories
                                      For the Medievalist!
                                      www.albionworks.net
                                      www.albionworks.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
                                        Unless there is a lot of carving
                                        I've found that in the SCA you are
                                        lucky if you can get twice the cost
                                        of materials.

                                        I've been considering trying to find
                                        a local store front to do consignment
                                        through, there I could get something
                                        more like the actual value of the piece.

                                        =====
                                        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                        http://sbc.yahoo.com
                                      • Scott Lane
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
                                          > >I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                                          > >furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                                          > >right hardware.
                                          >Hardware is a big problem for us medievalists. Forging it yourself is
                                          >definitely a good way to go, but then you have to get paid for that work,
                                          >too. My solution is to make pin-hinged clamped-front chests. ;-)

                                          I am in the process of finishing a whole bunch of hinges for
                                          chests (15+)... They are all spoken for but once I get them done I would
                                          be more than willing to make more, as well as other hardware. If anyone is
                                          interested in traditional forged hardware send me an e-mail at:
                                          scotty@...

                                          In Service,
                                          Aodhfin
                                        • Cockerel Woodworks

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
                                              >I've been considering trying to find
                                              >a local store front to do consignment
                                              >through, there I could get something
                                              >more like the actual value of the piece.

                                              Minus the store's commission, of course. Which can be substantial;
                                              galleries take as much as 50% of the sales price. So you still aren't
                                              getting the "actual value" if that is the same as the sales price. But a
                                              good gallery _adds value_ to your work, by effectively marketing and
                                              presenting it. And if you count the time and cost of going to events to
                                              sell stuff, on balance you are going to be way ahead letting someone else
                                              do that for a 50% commission. Then you can go to events just to have a
                                              good time, instead of being tied to the booth.

                                              Cheers,
                                              Colin

                                              Albion Works
                                              Furniture and Accessories
                                              For the Medievalist!
                                              www.albionworks.net
                                              www.albionworks.com
                                            • Hal and Julia
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 18, 2003
                                                Hi there folks, I have been selling my reproductions and adaptations for over ten years now. I first stated selling them in the SCA as a way of off setting my cost to do effects. My prices were low and I got so many comitions that I could not keep up with orders. In the end I raised my prices to reflect the cost of my art and to slow down the number of orders I received. I now sell to allsorts of people, with reproductions range from Roman to Modern. In the end pricing becomes is a balance of several things your time, your materials, and your art witch can be very emotional.

                                                In service
                                                Hal Raeburn, OL

                                              • Cockerel Woodworks

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 19, 2003
                                                    No, I have not had the time yet to complete one.

                                                    Hal