Re: Shave horses

  • Alessandro dEste
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 5, 2003
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
      <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
      > Awwww... yer' no fun!!! Maybe something in a nice 'poodle
      cut'???

      > Charlie '4.5 fingers' (the pin's out now... two more weeks to
      make sure the tendon's connected... sigh...)

      Its still to late for Crown tho Chas. I had so much looked forwards
      to seeing you become King...
      IYS
      Alessandro
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 6, 2003
        Tee-hee… just keep that thought for another 2.5 to 3 years…  I'll be gearing up around then… seems that I have this little gig coming up that will preclude me fighting Crown's for a while… might be a good thing, maybe I can work in my shop without fear of serious bodily injury for a while  (I was reminded a couple of days ago that 4 days before the previous crown I poured a ladle full of molten pewter over my right hand… luckily, it was covered with soapstone dust so the pewter just rolled off before I got any burns…  but I think that was a 'warning shot' that should have been heeded…  'Charles shouldn't fight Crown Tourneys!!!"…  but… what the heck… )

        Chas.

        <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
        > Awwww...  yer' no fun!!!  Maybe something in a nice
        'poodle
        cut'???

        > Charlie '4.5 fingers'  (the
        pin's out now...  two more weeks to
        make sure the tendon's connected... sigh...)

        Its still to late for Crown tho Chas. I had so much looked forwards
        to seeing you become King...
        IYS
        Alessandro
      • Wolfram Troeder
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 25, 2003
          Hello,
          as I was looking through my books for something completly different
          I found a 1485 drawing with a shaving horse. I put it in the photos
          section.

          Tassilo

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tom Rettie <tom@h...> wrote:
          > >Way back in March, we had a discussion on shave horses, and how
          far
          > >back they can be documented. Are there any updates to the
          quest? I
          > >have found several books on the history of hand tools and such,
          and
          > >some mention shave horses, but not their evolution. To me, they
          seem
          > >to be the precursor to our modern work benches. Any input?
          >
          > The earliest documentary evidence for a shaving horse that I'm
          aware of is
          > Georgius Agricola's "De Re Metallica" ((1556), which clearly
          illustrates a
          > man shaving down "fuzz sticks" for use in a mine. This is
          the "continental"
          > version where the dumbhead comes up through the center of the
          bench. The
          > "English" style seems to come later.
          >
          > I would resist the jump that, because of their utility, they must
          have had
          > them at a much earlier date. There are a host of "traditional"
          brakes for
          > holding pieces that require little more than a few tree branches.
          The 15th
          > c. Bedford Book of Hours shows a gentleman edge-planing a panel
          that is
          > wedged into notches in some timbers to hold it steady. In the
          Saint Louis

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 25, 2003
            --- Wolfram Troeder <Rabennest@...> wrote:
            > as I was looking through my books for something completly different
            > I found a 1485 drawing with a shaving horse.

            What book is that from?

            Ulrich

            Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
            http://companion.yahoo.com/
          • kjworz@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 25, 2003
              What is that object by the left butt-cheek of that white-cooper? Is that a tool?

              > --- Wolfram Troeder <Rabennest@...> wrote:
              > > as I was looking through my books for something completly different
              > > I found a 1485 drawing with a shaving horse.
              >
              > What book is that from?
              >
              > Ulrich

            • Lord Alessandro dEste
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 25, 2003
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, kjworz@c... wrote:
                > What is that object by the left butt-cheek of that white-cooper? Is
                that a tool?

                I took the pic and blew it up. To me and I could be wrong. It looks to
                be some type of clamping device . On line with a sewing pony.
                Bear
              • C N Schwartz
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 25, 2003
                  Darn. I thought it might be a froe. It looks like mine.

                  I have brought THAT froe to Pennsic. It worked great on that crappy
                  firewood.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 25, 2003
                    From the "Mendelsche Hausbuch", Nürnberg, 1485

                    Tassilo

                    > --- Wolfram Troeder <Rabennest@...> wrote:
                    > > as I was looking through my books for something completly different
                    > > I found a 1485 drawing with a shaving horse.
                    >
                    > What book is that from?
                    >
                    > Ulrich

                  • Wolfram Troeder
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 26, 2003
                      It is a chop block? "Hauklotz" for wood chopping and a chopping knife? a
                      "Gertel" or "Hippe". It chops smaller than an axe.

                      Tassilo

                      > What is that object by the left butt-cheek of that white-cooper? Is that
                      > a tool?
                      > >
                      > > --- Wolfram Troeder <Rabennest@...> wrote:
                      > > > as I was looking through my books for something completly different
                      > > > I found a 1485 drawing with a shaving horse.
                      > >
                      > > What book is that from?
                      > >
                      > > Ulrich

                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      GMX Weihnachts-Special: Seychellen-Traumreise zu gewinnen!

                      Rentier entlaufen. Finden Sie Rudolph! Als Belohnung winken
                      tolle Preise. http://www.gmx.net/de/cgi/specialmail/

                      +++ GMX - die erste Adresse f�r Mail, Message, More! +++
                    • Lord Alessandro dEste
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 26, 2003
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfram Troeder"
                        <Rabennest@g...> wrote:
                        > It is a chop block? "Hauklotz" for wood chopping and a chopping knife? a
                        > "Gertel" or "Hippe". It chops smaller than an axe.
                        >
                        > Tassilo

                        I can see that as what it could be but why two blades?
                        Sandro
                      • Wolfram Troeder
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 26, 2003
                          Hi,
                          thats not two blades but two upper edges of one blade. The artist just did
                          not draw the line on the edge between the two edges. Is that clear? On second
                          reading not even for me.
                          Ok, I saw the whole pic. It is a Gertel and it has only one blade. It is
                          made for chopping/splitting so the upper part of the blade (the back?) is broad.
                          In cut it is like a V. The artist tried to paint that, but forgot one line.
                          If you look beyond the stain, the line of the "second blade" merges with the
                          "first blade", so it is actually just one blade. Better?

                          Tassilo
                          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfram Troeder"
                          > <Rabennest@g...> wrote:
                          > > It is a chop block? "Hauklotz" for wood chopping and a chopping knife? a
                          > > "Gertel" or "Hippe". It chops smaller than an axe.
                          > >
                          > > Tassilo
                          >
                          > I can see that as what it could be but why two blades?
                          > Sandro

                          NEU F�R ALLE - GMX MediaCenter - f�r Fotos, Musik, Dateien...
                          Fotoalbum, File Sharing, MMS, Multimedia-Gru�, GMX FotoService

                          +++ GMX - die erste Adresse f�r Mail, Message, More! +++
                        • Tom Rettie
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 27, 2003
                            <Rabennest@g...> wrote:
                            > I found a 1485 drawing with a shaving horse. I put it in the
                            photos
                            > section.

                            Good catch. That prompted me to go take a closer look at Das
                            Hausbuch der Mendelschen Zwölfbrüderstiftung in Nürnberg,
                            and I noticed another cooper with just the hint of what might be a
                            shaving horse in the background (1515):

                            http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/094.jpg

                            There's also an interesting brake used by an armourer(?), a
                            similar tool that uses dogs instead of a foot vice:

                            http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/060.jpg

                            Tom R.