Re: [medievalsawdust] Looking for documentation

  • Tom Rettie
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 3, 2003
      >The other is any chair that can be documented to the 12th or 13th centuries.

      Turned chairs go back to at least the 12th century in northern Europe.
      There's a beautiful desk, bench, and chair in a church in Gotland c. 1200,
      and they show up in medieval art throughout the Middle Ages. I'm fond of
      turned furniture because with relatively few turning skills, you can make
      chairs as simple or elaborate as you wish.

      Here's one I made a while back:

      http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/turnedchair.html

      And one I just finished up but haven't posted new pictures for yet:

      http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/projects/current.html

      Hope that helps.

      Tom R.

      Tom Rettie tom@...
      http://www.his.com/~tom/index.html
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 3, 2003
        Actually 'x' chairs (or stools to be more precise) date 'WAY BACK'...  without a back...   The Greeks had multi-legged folding stools with interlocking seat...  an example shows up on a vase dated to the 6th c. B.C.  (... or BCE for the politically correct).    Prior to this example, there appear to be predominantly x-stools with leather sling seats.  Now... one interesting point is that during this time period and for several centuries there after, people sat their stools in a manner 90 deg. off of what we would consider 'normal' today.

        Interestingly, it 'appears' that backs on these stools kinda' started appearing roughly around the time that folks started sitting on stools the way we sit on them today...  I can't prove it 'beyond a shadow of a doubt'... but...

        My info on the history of 'x' chairs and stools is:

        SELLA CURULIS: The Folding Stool, an ancient symbol of dignity
        by Ole Wanscher, Rosenkilde and Bagger, Copenhagen, 1980\
        ISBN - 87 423 0337 0

        Your most obdn't servant -
        Chas.
      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 3, 2003
          >The first one is the X style chair.

          Gosh, which kind? I can think of at least 5 different styles of X-frame chair:

          1. The simple foldstool (pre-Roman through 14th c. at least)
          Fancy 14th c version:
          http://www.bnf.fr/enluminures/images/jpeg/i1_0042.jpg
          Andy Goddard made a nice one:
          http://www.bumply.com/Medieval/Fauldstool/index.htm

          2. Foldstool with the back legs extended upwards and a cloth back: the
          X-throne (14th - 16th c.)
          15th c. version:
          http://www.bnf.fr/enluminures/images/jpeg/i5_0088.jpg
          There are several examples in "Italian Renaissance Interiors" by Peter
          Thornton.

          3. Scissors-chair ("Scherenstuhl") with multiple legs, sometimes with
          arms, sometimes with back. Several variants on this model; the
          "Savonarola" chairs could be considered part of this category. 15th - 16th c.
          Charles Oakley has a couple of examples on his site, but the server is off
          at the moment. There are a bunch of 15th c. illuminations of these, and
          even a few surviving examples.
          Target is selling a very accurate-looking reproduction:
          http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-1/qid=1052072142/ref=sr_2_1/602-60
          03430-9044606?asin=B000083GKI

          4. "Glastonbury" type, essentially a sideways foldstool with added back
          and arms. (11th c, then 15th - 16th c.)
          http://www.albionworks.net/ChairsPage/FoldingChairs.htm

          5. "Dagobert" throne: a hybrid style with four legs and X-bracing front
          and back. (One example known, probably Carolingian, with 12th c. arms and
          back)
          http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/tutor/firsteuro/imgs/image6.html

          >The other is any chair that can be documented to the 12th or 13th centuries.

          Lots! Much of the furniture in that period was constructed of turned
          pieces. Large, heavy-looking turned legs are characteristic. I have some
          photos if you're really interested in that style. Earlier art shows
          armchairs that look very much like modern dining-chairs.

          Also there are Scandinavian chairs from the 12th c, some of which are made
          with squared timber (e.g. the Tyldal chair).

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works
          Furniture and Accessories
          For the Medievalist!
          www.albionworks.net
          www.albionworks.com
        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 12, 2003
            Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd see who is going to be
            at Pennsic this year. Looks like I will make it this time (flying not
            driving)! I won't have a booth myself, but will be hanging out mostly at
            Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks). Come by and say hello!

            Colin

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories
            For the Medievalist!
            www.albionworks.net
            www.albionworks.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
              I'll be there!

              --- Tim Bray <tbray@...> wrote:
              > Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd
              > see who is going to be
              > at Pennsic this year. Looks like I will make it
              > this time (flying not
              > driving)! I won't have a booth myself, but will be
              > hanging out mostly at
              > Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks). Come by and
              > say hello!
              >
              > Colin
              >

              > Albion Works
              > Furniture and Accessories
              > For the Medievalist!
              > www.albionworks.net
              > www.albionworks.com

              =====
              Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Rob Hicks
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
                I'll be there, so I should introduce myself.
                I am Dunstan Bramblette (Rob Hicks) and am currently
                working at Hal Raeburn's shop and have been rather
                solid this year, but on and off for the last 3 years.

                Me and my lady will be camping with House Raeburn,
                from time to time I should be seen in the Jactance
                booth.

                -Dunstan

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • GrimaldR@aol.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
                  As will I. I'll be camped with Silver Channel
                • Alessandro dEste
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:
                    > Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd see who is
                    going to be
                    > at Pennsic this year. Looks like I will make it this time (flying
                    not
                    > driving)! I won't have a booth myself, but will be hanging out
                    mostly at
                    > Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks). Come by and say hello!
                    >
                    > Colin

                    My lady and I will not be able to make Pennsic this year,Tho we had
                    made plans to do so. (It would have been our first)
                    The cost is what is keeping us from attending.
                    Most of our gear we have had to replace do to the flooding this year.
                    Even our gear trailer was effected by the high waters here in north
                    central Indiana.I wanted new camp box's and furniture but did not
                    plan on having to make all new so soon. Thank heavens our new pather
                    marquie was up in the house and not out in the trailer.
                    Next year we will be there "Hell or High Water"lol
                    IYS.
                    Alessandro dEste
                  • Brian D. Murphy
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 13, 2003
                      I'll be there...camping in the Midlands encampment.

                      Bran

                      Bran Du ap Dafydd

                      Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd see who is going to be
                      at Pennsic this year.  Looks like I will make it this time (flying not
                      driving)!  I won't have a booth myself, but will be hanging out mostly at
                      Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks).  Come by and say hello!

                      Colin
                    • Stefan von Kiel
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 14, 2003
                        I'll be there too. Also without a booth but I will have items for sale in a
                        friend's booth, Northstar Armoury. I'm only going for a few days around the
                        middle weekend.

                        Stefan von Kiel
                        Dwarven Axe Armoury
                        www.dwarvenaxe.com

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 14, 2003
                          Hi there folks,

                          I will be there as normal in booth #164 Jactance stop by we can talk more wood. I would also like to know if people are interested in having critique times, you no, bring pictures or pieces to chat about. Let me know if folks are up for it.

                          In service
                          Hal Raeburn

                        • Joseph Hayes
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
                            I know there's a few professionals on the list, so I was hoping to get
                            some advice. How does one go about pricing their work? I'm not
                            looking to make a living from furniture sales (cause then it would be
                            work and wouldn't be fun) but I'd like to offset the cost of the SCA.

                            So far, I've only made one piece that I planned to sell, but between
                            not knowing what to charge and my wife complaining the house has none
                            of my stuff (the cobbler's son has no shoes?), I never sold it.

                            Here's the piece:
                            http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/chest.jpg

                            I don't remember how long it took to build. It's all wood construction
                            (pegged), with linenfold front and boarded sides and back. The hinges
                            are hand-made. The material is red oak. Any suggestions on how to
                            price something like this?

                            Thanks,
                            Ulrich

                            http://sbc.yahoo.com
                          • Cockerel Woodworks
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003

                              Nice. I would probably ask around $500 USD.

                              Ulfgar

                              Cockerel Woodworks

                              Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

                              View our gallery!

                              http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

[...]

                            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
                                My guess $1000-1200. Go to New York City and look at the prices.

                                James Cunningham
                              • Tim Bray
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
                                  Pricing is really, really difficult. For me anyway, and judging by what I
                                  read and the number of times this question comes up, I'm not the only
                                  one. Since you are not trying to make a living at it (for a very good and
                                  well-stated reason), the usual advice about figuring an hourly rate does
                                  not apply.

                                  When you get right down to it, an object is worth what someone will pay for
                                  it. It's very difficult to figure that out in advance, until you get a lot
                                  of experience, which will bring a general sense of what people will pay.

                                  A big part of it is marketing. Two identical pieces of furniture might
                                  sell for dramatically different prices, depending on how they are
                                  marketed. The SCA market is notoriously cheap, although there is a very
                                  small percentage that recognize quality and will pay for it. So you need a
                                  lot of exposure, in order to get noticed by those people.

                                  Figure out what you think it's worth, add 25% to 50%, and ask for that. If
                                  you can't sell it for that, lower the price or do more marketing. Keep
                                  marketing and adjusting the price until it sells. Then you know exactly
                                  how to price the next one! :-D

                                  It's generally easier to lower your price than to raise it. OTOH,
                                  sometimes *raising* your prices will generate *more* interest in your
                                  work... bizarre, but sometimes true.

                                  Now, about your chest... that looks really good! Kind of a hybrid of
                                  styles, but nicely done. I probably wouldn't make something like that for
                                  less than $500, maybe more depending on those hinges... did you make them
                                  yourself, or buy them?

                                  Good luck,
                                  Colin

                                  Albion Works
                                  Furniture and Accessories
                                  For the Medievalist!
                                  www.albionworks.net
                                  www.albionworks.com
                                • Tim Bray
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 15, 2003
                                    I will be there as normal in booth #164 Jactance stop by we can talk more wood. I would also like to know if people are interested in having critique times, you no, bring pictures or pieces to chat about. Let me know if folks are up for it.

                                    Good idea Hal, I will try to bring some photos and look you up.  Wish I could bring some pieces, but logistics are against me.  Unless I can persuade Bob to bring that chest out from Maryland with him...

                                    See you there!

                                    Colin

                                    Albion Works
                                    Furniture and Accessories
                                    For the Medievalist!
                                  • Joseph Hayes
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                                      > Since you are not trying to make a living at it (for a very
                                      > good and well-stated reason), the usual advice about figuring an
                                      > hourly rate does not apply.

                                      What's a good starting point for hourly rate? Minimum wage? I have no
                                      idea what a modern entry-level cabinetmaker earns. Do people mark up
                                      the cost of materials?

                                      > The SCA market is notoriously cheap

                                      That's for sure! There's too many crafty people. I wish I had a buck
                                      for every time I hear someone say, "I can make that."

                                      > Now, about your chest... that looks really good! Kind of a hybrid of
                                      > styles, but nicely done.

                                      Thanks. It's based on two examples. One in "Oak Furniture: The
                                      British Tradition" by Chinnery and the other is in the Cleveland Museum
                                      of Art. I chose it for the same reasons (I think) as the original
                                      builders: It's all boards, no large dimension stiles are needed.

                                      > I probably wouldn't make something like that for less than $500,

                                      Wow, my initial thought $300.

                                      > maybe more depending on those hinges... did you make them
                                      > yourself, or buy them?

                                      I bought them from a shire member who smiths. I think he charged me
                                      $20. I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                                      furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                                      right hardware.

                                      Ulrich

                                      http://sbc.yahoo.com
                                    • Tim Bray
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                                        >My guess $1000-1200. Go to New York City and look at the prices.

                                        Keep in mind that the gallery commission is often around 50%. If it was
                                        consigned to a gallery and they sold it for $1200, Ulrich would probably
                                        get about $600. That's the power of marketing! ;-)

                                        Cheers,
                                        Colin

                                        Albion Works
                                        Furniture and Accessories
                                        For the Medievalist!
                                        www.albionworks.net
                                        www.albionworks.com
                                      • Stefan von Kiel
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                                          I have always undercharged for my work. I had to create a table that has
                                          all materials that I would have to purchase. If I purchase 8 board feet of
                                          hard maple to make a project that will use 6 bf when completed, I use 8 bf
                                          in my table since this is what I will have to purchase. I also include
                                          expendables like sandpaper, rags, etc. I then use an hourly rate of $20 per
                                          hour. I found that once I figure out the cost, it is still reasonably
                                          priced. My trestle legs have gone up in price since I now use a mortise &
                                          tenon joint to attach the cross support. This has added more time to the
                                          construction but the result is a better trestle. People seem to be happy
                                          paying a little more for the sturdier trestles.

                                          Stefan von Kiel
                                          Dwarven Axe Armoury
                                          www.dwarvenaxe.com

                                        • Tim Bray
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 16, 2003
                                            >What's a good starting point for hourly rate? Minimum wage?

                                            Depends. Are you really trying to make a living at it? Do you have
                                            insurance coverage through a spouse or other job? How much training or
                                            experience do you have? etc...

                                            > I have no
                                            >idea what a modern entry-level cabinetmaker earns.

                                            Depends. Location, experience, market conditions... Right now an
                                            entry-level guy in a commercial shop probably won't be getting much more
                                            than grunt wages, probably less than $10/hour. An experienced guy in a top
                                            market area probably can't get much more than $30/hour. Cabinetmaking is a
                                            tough business right now.

                                            > Do people mark up
                                            >the cost of materials?

                                            No, I just build them into my price. What I do is design the piece, make a
                                            WAG of how long it will take me to complete, figure out how much I want to
                                            make, and add the materials costs plus incidentals. I'm almost always too
                                            low - I don't make much over $10/hour most of the time.

                                            The way I figure materials is to add up the board footage in the piece, add
                                            at least 30% for waste, and add an allowance for consumables (sandpaper,
                                            finish, etc.).

                                            Your price also has to pay back the cost of your tools, and pay for new
                                            blades, power consumption, and a host of other little things that add up.

                                            >That's for sure! There's too many crafty people. I wish I had a buck
                                            >for every time I hear someone say, "I can make that."

                                            What I need is a way to turn compliments into cash. A friend suggested I
                                            put out a large jar, and charge 25 cents every time someone says "Very nice
                                            work, m'lord." :-D

                                            Don't get me wrong, I love those compliments, but they are too rarely
                                            followed by sales!

                                            > > I probably wouldn't make something like that for less than $500,
                                            >
                                            >Wow, my initial thought $300.

                                            Two years ago that's probably what I would have said too. But that would
                                            be sub-minimum wage, at least for the amount of time I would put into
                                            it. If you work faster than me, you can charge less and still make
                                            more. I put a _lot_ of time into details and finishing - cutting chamfers,
                                            easing edges, sanding and scraping. And as I noted above, there are a lot
                                            of expenses that have to get paid out of that price.

                                            >I bought them from a shire member who smiths. I think he charged me
                                            >$20.

                                            Give me that guy's name, I want to order a dozen.

                                            >I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                                            >furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                                            >right hardware.

                                            Hardware is a big problem for us medievalists. Forging it yourself is
                                            definitely a good way to go, but then you have to get paid for that work,
                                            too. My solution is to make pin-hinged clamped-front chests. ;-)

                                            Cheers,
                                            Colin

                                            Albion Works
                                            Furniture and Accessories
                                            For the Medievalist!
                                            www.albionworks.net
                                            www.albionworks.com
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
                                              Unless there is a lot of carving
                                              I've found that in the SCA you are
                                              lucky if you can get twice the cost
                                              of materials.

                                              I've been considering trying to find
                                              a local store front to do consignment
                                              through, there I could get something
                                              more like the actual value of the piece.

                                              =====
                                              Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                              Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                              http://sbc.yahoo.com
                                            • Scott Lane
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
                                                > >I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                                                > >furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                                                > >right hardware.
                                                >Hardware is a big problem for us medievalists. Forging it yourself is
                                                >definitely a good way to go, but then you have to get paid for that work,
                                                >too. My solution is to make pin-hinged clamped-front chests. ;-)

                                                I am in the process of finishing a whole bunch of hinges for
                                                chests (15+)... They are all spoken for but once I get them done I would
                                                be more than willing to make more, as well as other hardware. If anyone is
                                                interested in traditional forged hardware send me an e-mail at:
                                                scotty@...

                                                In Service,
                                                Aodhfin
                                              • Cockerel Woodworks

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 17, 2003
                                                    >I've been considering trying to find
                                                    >a local store front to do consignment
                                                    >through, there I could get something
                                                    >more like the actual value of the piece.

                                                    Minus the store's commission, of course. Which can be substantial;
                                                    galleries take as much as 50% of the sales price. So you still aren't
                                                    getting the "actual value" if that is the same as the sales price. But a
                                                    good gallery _adds value_ to your work, by effectively marketing and
                                                    presenting it. And if you count the time and cost of going to events to
                                                    sell stuff, on balance you are going to be way ahead letting someone else
                                                    do that for a 50% commission. Then you can go to events just to have a
                                                    good time, instead of being tied to the booth.

                                                    Cheers,
                                                    Colin

                                                    Albion Works
                                                    Furniture and Accessories
                                                    For the Medievalist!
                                                    www.albionworks.net
                                                    www.albionworks.com
                                                  • Hal and Julia
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jul 18, 2003
                                                      Hi there folks, I have been selling my reproductions and adaptations for over ten years now. I first stated selling them in the SCA as a way of off setting my cost to do effects. My prices were low and I got so many comitions that I could not keep up with orders. In the end I raised my prices to reflect the cost of my art and to slow down the number of orders I received. I now sell to allsorts of people, with reproductions range from Roman to Modern. In the end pricing becomes is a balance of several things your time, your materials, and your art witch can be very emotional.

                                                      In service
                                                      Hal Raeburn, OL

                                                    • Cockerel Woodworks

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jul 19, 2003
                                                          No, I have not had the time yet to complete one.

                                                          Hal