Looking for documentation

  • Stefan von Kiel
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 3 7:05 AM
      Hello everyone,

      I'm trying to find documentation for some chairs.

      The first one is the X style chair. I've made a few and seen others with
      them, but don't know if they are period. I think I've seen references to
      similar chairs, but can't find them.

      The other is any chair that can be documented to the 12th or 13th centuries.

      Thanks for your help.

      Stefan
      Dwarven Axe Armoury
      www.dwarvenaxe.com

    • ghalstead@adelphia.net
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 3 7:49 AM
        The X chair (as opposed to the stool) first shows up in Italy in the late 14th C (IIRC, I'm at work and the books are at home) and migrates into northern Europe over the course of the 15th and 16th centuries. There were two major styles, the "Dantesca" which has a leather/cloth back and seat (rather like the modern "director's chair") and the "Savonarola" which has a slatted wooden seat and removable wooden back. Both names are modern lables, BTW. Some pictures of 15th-16th C Italian examples can be seen online at: http://www.medievalwoodworking.com/schottmuller2.htm The pictures are supposed to be a link to a larger version, but that doesn't seem to be working for some reason. Existing examples are fairly common and can be found in most books on medieval/Renaissance furniture.

        12th and 13th C chairs are few and far between. I know there are some examples out there, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head.

        Ranulf

        > From: "Stefan von Kiel" <stefan@...>
        > Date: 2003/07/03 Thu AM 10:05:45 EDT
        > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [medievalsawdust] Looking for documentation
        >
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I'm trying to find documentation for some chairs.
        >
        > The first one is the X style chair. I've made a few and seen others with
        > them, but don't know if they are period. I think I've seen references to
        > similar chairs, but can't find them.
        >
        > The other is any chair that can be documented to the 12th or 13th centuries.
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Stefan
        > Dwarven Axe Armoury
        > www.dwarvenaxe.com

      • Tom Rettie
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 3 9:05 AM
          >The other is any chair that can be documented to the 12th or 13th centuries.

          Turned chairs go back to at least the 12th century in northern Europe.
          There's a beautiful desk, bench, and chair in a church in Gotland c. 1200,
          and they show up in medieval art throughout the Middle Ages. I'm fond of
          turned furniture because with relatively few turning skills, you can make
          chairs as simple or elaborate as you wish.

          Here's one I made a while back:

          http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/turnedchair.html

          And one I just finished up but haven't posted new pictures for yet:

          http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/projects/current.html

          Hope that helps.

          Tom R.

          Tom Rettie tom@...
          http://www.his.com/~tom/index.html
        • James Winkler
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 3 10:27 AM
            Actually 'x' chairs (or stools to be more precise) date 'WAY BACK'...  without a back...   The Greeks had multi-legged folding stools with interlocking seat...  an example shows up on a vase dated to the 6th c. B.C.  (... or BCE for the politically correct).    Prior to this example, there appear to be predominantly x-stools with leather sling seats.  Now... one interesting point is that during this time period and for several centuries there after, people sat their stools in a manner 90 deg. off of what we would consider 'normal' today.

            Interestingly, it 'appears' that backs on these stools kinda' started appearing roughly around the time that folks started sitting on stools the way we sit on them today...  I can't prove it 'beyond a shadow of a doubt'... but...

            My info on the history of 'x' chairs and stools is:

            SELLA CURULIS: The Folding Stool, an ancient symbol of dignity
            by Ole Wanscher, Rosenkilde and Bagger, Copenhagen, 1980\
            ISBN - 87 423 0337 0

            Your most obdn't servant -
            Chas.
          • Tim Bray
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 3 12:36 PM
              >The first one is the X style chair.

              Gosh, which kind? I can think of at least 5 different styles of X-frame chair:

              1. The simple foldstool (pre-Roman through 14th c. at least)
              Fancy 14th c version:
              http://www.bnf.fr/enluminures/images/jpeg/i1_0042.jpg
              Andy Goddard made a nice one:
              http://www.bumply.com/Medieval/Fauldstool/index.htm

              2. Foldstool with the back legs extended upwards and a cloth back: the
              X-throne (14th - 16th c.)
              15th c. version:
              http://www.bnf.fr/enluminures/images/jpeg/i5_0088.jpg
              There are several examples in "Italian Renaissance Interiors" by Peter
              Thornton.

              3. Scissors-chair ("Scherenstuhl") with multiple legs, sometimes with
              arms, sometimes with back. Several variants on this model; the
              "Savonarola" chairs could be considered part of this category. 15th - 16th c.
              Charles Oakley has a couple of examples on his site, but the server is off
              at the moment. There are a bunch of 15th c. illuminations of these, and
              even a few surviving examples.
              Target is selling a very accurate-looking reproduction:
              http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-1/qid=1052072142/ref=sr_2_1/602-60
              03430-9044606?asin=B000083GKI

              4. "Glastonbury" type, essentially a sideways foldstool with added back
              and arms. (11th c, then 15th - 16th c.)
              http://www.albionworks.net/ChairsPage/FoldingChairs.htm

              5. "Dagobert" throne: a hybrid style with four legs and X-bracing front
              and back. (One example known, probably Carolingian, with 12th c. arms and
              back)
              http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/tutor/firsteuro/imgs/image6.html

              >The other is any chair that can be documented to the 12th or 13th centuries.

              Lots! Much of the furniture in that period was constructed of turned
              pieces. Large, heavy-looking turned legs are characteristic. I have some
              photos if you're really interested in that style. Earlier art shows
              armchairs that look very much like modern dining-chairs.

              Also there are Scandinavian chairs from the 12th c, some of which are made
              with squared timber (e.g. the Tyldal chair).

              Cheers,
              Colin

              Albion Works
              Furniture and Accessories
              For the Medievalist!
              www.albionworks.net
              www.albionworks.com
            • Tim Bray
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 12 6:05 PM
                Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd see who is going to be
                at Pennsic this year. Looks like I will make it this time (flying not
                driving)! I won't have a booth myself, but will be hanging out mostly at
                Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks). Come by and say hello!

                Colin

                Albion Works
                Furniture and Accessories
                For the Medievalist!
                www.albionworks.net
                www.albionworks.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 13 4:02 AM
                  I'll be there!

                  --- Tim Bray <tbray@...> wrote:
                  > Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd
                  > see who is going to be
                  > at Pennsic this year. Looks like I will make it
                  > this time (flying not
                  > driving)! I won't have a booth myself, but will be
                  > hanging out mostly at
                  > Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks). Come by and
                  > say hello!
                  >
                  > Colin
                  >

                  > Albion Works
                  > Furniture and Accessories
                  > For the Medievalist!
                  > www.albionworks.net
                  > www.albionworks.com

                  =====
                  Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                  Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • Rob Hicks
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 13 7:21 AM
                    I'll be there, so I should introduce myself.
                    I am Dunstan Bramblette (Rob Hicks) and am currently
                    working at Hal Raeburn's shop and have been rather
                    solid this year, but on and off for the last 3 years.

                    Me and my lady will be camping with House Raeburn,
                    from time to time I should be seen in the Jactance
                    booth.

                    -Dunstan

                    http://sbc.yahoo.com
                  • GrimaldR@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 13 8:00 AM
                      As will I. I'll be camped with Silver Channel
                    • Alessandro dEste
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 13 7:19 PM
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:
                        > Since it's less than a month away now, I thought I'd see who is
                        going to be
                        > at Pennsic this year. Looks like I will make it this time (flying
                        not
                        > driving)! I won't have a booth myself, but will be hanging out
                        mostly at
                        > Renaissance Arts (the T-shirt folks). Come by and say hello!
                        >
                        > Colin

                        My lady and I will not be able to make Pennsic this year,Tho we had
                        made plans to do so. (It would have been our first)
                        The cost is what is keeping us from attending.
                        Most of our gear we have had to replace do to the flooding this year.
                        Even our gear trailer was effected by the high waters here in north
                        central Indiana.I wanted new camp box's and furniture but did not
                        plan on having to make all new so soon. Thank heavens our new pather
                        marquie was up in the house and not out in the trailer.
                        Next year we will be there "Hell or High Water"lol
                        IYS.
                        Alessandro dEste
                      • Brian D. Murphy

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 14 9:37 AM
                            I'll be there too. Also without a booth but I will have items for sale in a
                            friend's booth, Northstar Armoury. I'm only going for a few days around the
                            middle weekend.

                            Stefan von Kiel
                            Dwarven Axe Armoury
                            www.dwarvenaxe.com

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 14 7:02 PM
                              Hi there folks,

                              I will be there as normal in booth #164 Jactance stop by we can talk more wood. I would also like to know if people are interested in having critique times, you no, bring pictures or pieces to chat about. Let me know if folks are up for it.

                              In service
                              Hal Raeburn

                            • Joseph Hayes
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 15 7:03 AM
                                I know there's a few professionals on the list, so I was hoping to get
                                some advice. How does one go about pricing their work? I'm not
                                looking to make a living from furniture sales (cause then it would be
                                work and wouldn't be fun) but I'd like to offset the cost of the SCA.

                                So far, I've only made one piece that I planned to sell, but between
                                not knowing what to charge and my wife complaining the house has none
                                of my stuff (the cobbler's son has no shoes?), I never sold it.

                                Here's the piece:
                                http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/chest.jpg

                                I don't remember how long it took to build. It's all wood construction
                                (pegged), with linenfold front and boarded sides and back. The hinges
                                are hand-made. The material is red oak. Any suggestions on how to
                                price something like this?

                                Thanks,
                                Ulrich

                                http://sbc.yahoo.com
                              • Cockerel Woodworks
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 15 7:00 PM

                                  Nice. I would probably ask around $500 USD.

                                  Ulfgar

                                  Cockerel Woodworks

                                  Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

                                  View our gallery!

                                  http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

[...]

                                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 15 7:41 PM
                                    My guess $1000-1200. Go to New York City and look at the prices.

                                    James Cunningham
                                  • Tim Bray
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 15 9:28 PM
                                      Pricing is really, really difficult. For me anyway, and judging by what I
                                      read and the number of times this question comes up, I'm not the only
                                      one. Since you are not trying to make a living at it (for a very good and
                                      well-stated reason), the usual advice about figuring an hourly rate does
                                      not apply.

                                      When you get right down to it, an object is worth what someone will pay for
                                      it. It's very difficult to figure that out in advance, until you get a lot
                                      of experience, which will bring a general sense of what people will pay.

                                      A big part of it is marketing. Two identical pieces of furniture might
                                      sell for dramatically different prices, depending on how they are
                                      marketed. The SCA market is notoriously cheap, although there is a very
                                      small percentage that recognize quality and will pay for it. So you need a
                                      lot of exposure, in order to get noticed by those people.

                                      Figure out what you think it's worth, add 25% to 50%, and ask for that. If
                                      you can't sell it for that, lower the price or do more marketing. Keep
                                      marketing and adjusting the price until it sells. Then you know exactly
                                      how to price the next one! :-D

                                      It's generally easier to lower your price than to raise it. OTOH,
                                      sometimes *raising* your prices will generate *more* interest in your
                                      work... bizarre, but sometimes true.

                                      Now, about your chest... that looks really good! Kind of a hybrid of
                                      styles, but nicely done. I probably wouldn't make something like that for
                                      less than $500, maybe more depending on those hinges... did you make them
                                      yourself, or buy them?

                                      Good luck,
                                      Colin

                                      Albion Works
                                      Furniture and Accessories
                                      For the Medievalist!
                                      www.albionworks.net
                                      www.albionworks.com
                                    • Tim Bray
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 15 9:32 PM
                                        I will be there as normal in booth #164 Jactance stop by we can talk more wood. I would also like to know if people are interested in having critique times, you no, bring pictures or pieces to chat about. Let me know if folks are up for it.

                                        Good idea Hal, I will try to bring some photos and look you up.  Wish I could bring some pieces, but logistics are against me.  Unless I can persuade Bob to bring that chest out from Maryland with him...

                                        See you there!

                                        Colin

                                        Albion Works
                                        Furniture and Accessories
                                        For the Medievalist!
                                      • Joseph Hayes
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 16 8:48 AM
                                          > Since you are not trying to make a living at it (for a very
                                          > good and well-stated reason), the usual advice about figuring an
                                          > hourly rate does not apply.

                                          What's a good starting point for hourly rate? Minimum wage? I have no
                                          idea what a modern entry-level cabinetmaker earns. Do people mark up
                                          the cost of materials?

                                          > The SCA market is notoriously cheap

                                          That's for sure! There's too many crafty people. I wish I had a buck
                                          for every time I hear someone say, "I can make that."

                                          > Now, about your chest... that looks really good! Kind of a hybrid of
                                          > styles, but nicely done.

                                          Thanks. It's based on two examples. One in "Oak Furniture: The
                                          British Tradition" by Chinnery and the other is in the Cleveland Museum
                                          of Art. I chose it for the same reasons (I think) as the original
                                          builders: It's all boards, no large dimension stiles are needed.

                                          > I probably wouldn't make something like that for less than $500,

                                          Wow, my initial thought $300.

                                          > maybe more depending on those hinges... did you make them
                                          > yourself, or buy them?

                                          I bought them from a shire member who smiths. I think he charged me
                                          $20. I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                                          furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                                          right hardware.

                                          Ulrich

                                          http://sbc.yahoo.com
                                        • Tim Bray
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 16 8:52 AM
                                            >My guess $1000-1200. Go to New York City and look at the prices.

                                            Keep in mind that the gallery commission is often around 50%. If it was
                                            consigned to a gallery and they sold it for $1200, Ulrich would probably
                                            get about $600. That's the power of marketing! ;-)

                                            Cheers,
                                            Colin

                                            Albion Works
                                            Furniture and Accessories
                                            For the Medievalist!
                                            www.albionworks.net
                                            www.albionworks.com
                                          • Stefan von Kiel
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 16 9:30 AM
                                              I have always undercharged for my work. I had to create a table that has
                                              all materials that I would have to purchase. If I purchase 8 board feet of
                                              hard maple to make a project that will use 6 bf when completed, I use 8 bf
                                              in my table since this is what I will have to purchase. I also include
                                              expendables like sandpaper, rags, etc. I then use an hourly rate of $20 per
                                              hour. I found that once I figure out the cost, it is still reasonably
                                              priced. My trestle legs have gone up in price since I now use a mortise &
                                              tenon joint to attach the cross support. This has added more time to the
                                              construction but the result is a better trestle. People seem to be happy
                                              paying a little more for the sturdier trestles.

                                              Stefan von Kiel
                                              Dwarven Axe Armoury
                                              www.dwarvenaxe.com

                                            • Tim Bray
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 16 9:54 PM
                                                >What's a good starting point for hourly rate? Minimum wage?

                                                Depends. Are you really trying to make a living at it? Do you have
                                                insurance coverage through a spouse or other job? How much training or
                                                experience do you have? etc...

                                                > I have no
                                                >idea what a modern entry-level cabinetmaker earns.

                                                Depends. Location, experience, market conditions... Right now an
                                                entry-level guy in a commercial shop probably won't be getting much more
                                                than grunt wages, probably less than $10/hour. An experienced guy in a top
                                                market area probably can't get much more than $30/hour. Cabinetmaking is a
                                                tough business right now.

                                                > Do people mark up
                                                >the cost of materials?

                                                No, I just build them into my price. What I do is design the piece, make a
                                                WAG of how long it will take me to complete, figure out how much I want to
                                                make, and add the materials costs plus incidentals. I'm almost always too
                                                low - I don't make much over $10/hour most of the time.

                                                The way I figure materials is to add up the board footage in the piece, add
                                                at least 30% for waste, and add an allowance for consumables (sandpaper,
                                                finish, etc.).

                                                Your price also has to pay back the cost of your tools, and pay for new
                                                blades, power consumption, and a host of other little things that add up.

                                                >That's for sure! There's too many crafty people. I wish I had a buck
                                                >for every time I hear someone say, "I can make that."

                                                What I need is a way to turn compliments into cash. A friend suggested I
                                                put out a large jar, and charge 25 cents every time someone says "Very nice
                                                work, m'lord." :-D

                                                Don't get me wrong, I love those compliments, but they are too rarely
                                                followed by sales!

                                                > > I probably wouldn't make something like that for less than $500,
                                                >
                                                >Wow, my initial thought $300.

                                                Two years ago that's probably what I would have said too. But that would
                                                be sub-minimum wage, at least for the amount of time I would put into
                                                it. If you work faster than me, you can charge less and still make
                                                more. I put a _lot_ of time into details and finishing - cutting chamfers,
                                                easing edges, sanding and scraping. And as I noted above, there are a lot
                                                of expenses that have to get paid out of that price.

                                                >I bought them from a shire member who smiths. I think he charged me
                                                >$20.

                                                Give me that guy's name, I want to order a dozen.

                                                >I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                                                >furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                                                >right hardware.

                                                Hardware is a big problem for us medievalists. Forging it yourself is
                                                definitely a good way to go, but then you have to get paid for that work,
                                                too. My solution is to make pin-hinged clamped-front chests. ;-)

                                                Cheers,
                                                Colin

                                                Albion Works
                                                Furniture and Accessories
                                                For the Medievalist!
                                                www.albionworks.net
                                                www.albionworks.com
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jul 17 3:25 AM
                                                  Unless there is a lot of carving
                                                  I've found that in the SCA you are
                                                  lucky if you can get twice the cost
                                                  of materials.

                                                  I've been considering trying to find
                                                  a local store front to do consignment
                                                  through, there I could get something
                                                  more like the actual value of the piece.

                                                  =====
                                                  Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                                  Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                                                • Scott Lane
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 17 8:43 AM
                                                    > >I need to finish the forge I'm building. There's a lot of
                                                    > >furniture I want to build, but won't do it until I can do it with the
                                                    > >right hardware.
                                                    >Hardware is a big problem for us medievalists. Forging it yourself is
                                                    >definitely a good way to go, but then you have to get paid for that work,
                                                    >too. My solution is to make pin-hinged clamped-front chests. ;-)

                                                    I am in the process of finishing a whole bunch of hinges for
                                                    chests (15+)... They are all spoken for but once I get them done I would
                                                    be more than willing to make more, as well as other hardware. If anyone is
                                                    interested in traditional forged hardware send me an e-mail at:
                                                    scotty@...

                                                    In Service,
                                                    Aodhfin
                                                  • Cockerel Woodworks

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jul 17 9:03 PM
                                                        >I've been considering trying to find
                                                        >a local store front to do consignment
                                                        >through, there I could get something
                                                        >more like the actual value of the piece.

                                                        Minus the store's commission, of course. Which can be substantial;
                                                        galleries take as much as 50% of the sales price. So you still aren't
                                                        getting the "actual value" if that is the same as the sales price. But a
                                                        good gallery _adds value_ to your work, by effectively marketing and
                                                        presenting it. And if you count the time and cost of going to events to
                                                        sell stuff, on balance you are going to be way ahead letting someone else
                                                        do that for a 50% commission. Then you can go to events just to have a
                                                        good time, instead of being tied to the booth.

                                                        Cheers,
                                                        Colin

                                                        Albion Works
                                                        Furniture and Accessories
                                                        For the Medievalist!
                                                        www.albionworks.net
                                                        www.albionworks.com
                                                      • Hal and Julia
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jul 18 2:43 PM
                                                          Hi there folks, I have been selling my reproductions and adaptations for over ten years now. I first stated selling them in the SCA as a way of off setting my cost to do effects. My prices were low and I got so many comitions that I could not keep up with orders. In the end I raised my prices to reflect the cost of my art and to slow down the number of orders I received. I now sell to allsorts of people, with reproductions range from Roman to Modern. In the end pricing becomes is a balance of several things your time, your materials, and your art witch can be very emotional.

                                                          In service
                                                          Hal Raeburn, OL

                                                        • Cockerel Woodworks

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jul 19 6:43 AM
                                                              No, I have not had the time yet to complete one.

                                                              Hal