RE: [MedievalSawdust] Red , White, Oak or Chestnut

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2007

      Chestnut was a king of American lumbers until the blight wiped them out about a Century ago.  The difference between it and white oak is subtle, but there.  I am familiar with it because a lot of boxes for tools were made of chestnut.  It is slightly more brown and the rings are a bit darker than white oak.  I really wish it was still available in commercial quantities.

      I don't know how it differed with European varieties.

      I learned something... The North American Yellow Poplar is more closely related to Magnolia than to true poplars.  I think poplar in Europe is more akin to harder woods like Sycamore or Maple in NA.

      From: Earl Ryan <dyderich@yahoo. com>
      > is Ash a concidered a period wood or is it an American species?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Dyderich

      now.