Re: [MedievalSawdust] Red or White Oak

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 7, 2007
      Ash is available in Europe: Fraxinus excelsior or European Ash

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraxinus_excelsior

      What isn't available is Hickory. Hickory, like Magnolias prefer a warmer had to flee in front of the huge glaciers of the last Ice Age. When the trees hit the Alps, they could go no further, so they died out in Europe. In North America, they escaped south and returned when the ice receded.

      But Ash was ale to survive in colder climates and is the preferred tool-handle wood in Europe.

      (Telling the difference between Ash and Hickory is difficult, and if I had one and not the other I'd freely substitute one for the other on any project, modern or period, personally. )

      Here is a trick I use for materials selections on period projects, since we agonize over this question in our own way. I determine my mood before getting materials. Let's say the project is like the glastonbury chair, that I am assuming is made from English Brown Oak

      If I am feeling Super-Duper-Authentic-Period, i get English Brown Oak. The actual wood-type used in the original. Preferably OLD wood, taken/reclaimed from the beams of an English barn 500+ years old and as close to the Glastonbury as possible. (Clearly I am feeling rich when I am in this mood). I am in AWE when someone does this. Even when they just import modern, but authentic species, lumber.

      If I am feeling Period, I select a wood that is indiscernable from the English Brown Oak to most people (including most of us on this list) on a cursory examination as an A&S judge. I'd use North American White Oak, Ash, Hickory. Maybe Chestnut. Something open porous that also resembles English Brown Oak and has very similar properties for strength and working. Something you could claim was actual English Brown Oak in your A&S paper work and probably get away with.... (woe betide you getting caught in such a lie, you miserable cur!) This mood is impressive and the only shame you feel on this one is for lying on the paperwork.

      If I am feeling Almost-Period, I select a wood that will work, but to a relatively sophisticated laymen is clearly not a period selection. Black Walnut, Maple, Beech, White Pine, Birch. Something I still would enter into an A&S competition. I'd note the materials selection in the paperwork.

      If I am feeling Not-Period, but Spiffy, I select anything I can make look reminiscent of the glastonbury chair. Plywood, Contruction grade 2x8 Spruce, pressure-treated Yellow Pine, that plastice Decking material made from recycled soda bottles. This project is probably being made to make the camp look spiffier and is replacing an ugly folding chair.

      It sounds like YOU are feeling Period or Almost-Period, but leaning Period. Select accordingly.

      Incidentally, I usually feel Period or Almost-Period, my compromising relies on what I have on hand or at the lumber yard. Same with other facets like hardware selection and tool-use selection.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      From: Earl Ryan <dyderich@...>
      > is Ash a concidered a period wood or is it an American species?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Dyderich

    • Tracy Swanson
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 13, 2007
        Alright! I finally found some shots that the server seems to like. Look under the folder "Malaki's Staff and you will see first a shot of the entire staff, then a closer shot of the purpleheart ball with all of the insets and inlays.

        In Magical Service,
        Malaki