Re: Red or White Oak

  • Stan Hunter
    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 6, 2007
      Isaac,

      North American white oak, Quercus alba, is 99.9% indistinguishable from European oak, Quercus robur and Q. pentraea, the most common western european oaks.   All of the European oaks are members of the white oak group, there are no native European members of the red oak group.  See the notes from my Pennsic 35 class "European woods and N American Counterparts" in the files section of the group.  I can scan both species and send you a file if you want more info.

      Sir Stanford

      From: isaac01@netdoor. com
      Date: 02/06/2007 12:14
      To: <medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com>
      Subj: [MedievalSawdust] Red or White Oak

      I am going to make another Glastonbury chair I made the first out of
      pine to get the pattern down. Now I want to make one of Oak the
      question I have is should I use red or white oak? Which is a closer
      match to what they used?
      Thanks
      Isaac MacDaniel
    • Tracy Swanson
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 13, 2007
        Alright! I finally found some shots that the server seems to like. Look under the folder "Malaki's Staff and you will see first a shot of the entire staff, then a closer shot of the purpleheart ball with all of the insets and inlays.

        In Magical Service,
        Malaki