RE: [MedievalSawdust] Red or White Oak

  • Tracy Swanson
    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 6, 2007
      Red oak does have its uses - I just replaced a floor in an old Victorian with red oak and it turned out beautifully. I have also turned various items of red oak, including a carver's mallet and several magic wands. Whereas I would not again use it for a mallet (it has started to splinter along the more used areas and the rock maple mallet I turned has fared far better over the years), It is a good hardwood to use when price is a consideration. Save the pine for the fireplace.

      In Magical Service,
      Malaki

      From: Arthur Slaughter <finnmacart@hotmail. com>

       I have come to the conclusion that white oak makes lovely furniture
      and red oak makes excellent firewood.
      THL Finnr Bjornsson

      That's not totally fair to red oak. It can be used for nice funiture as long
      as you know how to work with it and know what to do to compensate
      for the differnences.

      That being said I have to agree that it is much easier to use white oak.

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...

    • Tracy Swanson
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 13, 2007
        Alright! I finally found some shots that the server seems to like. Look under the folder "Malaki's Staff and you will see first a shot of the entire staff, then a closer shot of the purpleheart ball with all of the insets and inlays.

        In Magical Service,
        Malaki