New pictures

  • tracystar2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2007
      I have added some shots of my latest project, an hourglass frame made
      of walnut with applied relief carvings of rock maple.

      This hourglass is based upon the travels of my persona from Swansea,
      Wales to Yuan Dynasty China where I spent more than 20 years in
      service to Kubilai Kahn in thelate 13th century. Because of the use
      of rope throughout the journey I decided to make it a running theme
      with the rope edges, beads and borders. The open spiraled pillars
      continue this trend down to the caged balls, which have been carved
      to resemble monkey's fists (a knot tied by sailors to make it easier
      to throw a line). The pillars have also been inset with metal studs
      in the forms of targets (I shoot a crossbow) and 6 pointed stars.
      Other insets are of brass tubing that contain crushed malachite.

      The reliefs show the modes of transport taken - a Bactrian camel
      caravan on our way to China (based on the 3D sculpture commemorating
      the Silk Road), and a 13th century Chinese junk like the one we
      sailed home. The base of the hourglass sports a piazza, or Mongolian
      passport. The type of metal from which the original piazza was made
      would reflect the status of its holder.

      Enjoy!
      Malaki