Re: [MedievalSawdust] Pavilion Architecture Questions

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
      Are you talking lag screws or through bolts? I would not recomend any
      screws in the joint section. They would wear out after 5-6 take downs.
      Through bolts with fender washers on both sides are better though you have
      to make sure the head and nut ends do not touch canvas.

      James Cunningham

      < I'd use lag bolts >
    • tracystar2000
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
        Greetings unto the group!

        My name is Malaki Dracwin and I am new to this group. Please forgive
        this rather lengthy first post.

        I haven't yet gotten to read all of the past posts, but this pavilion
        pole issue is one that I have dealt with before. Too often these
        things are over-engeneered. In my experience, lighter is better. When
        my wife and I were first married we purchased a double bell wedge
        from Panther. It has only a 5' ridgepole, but the two poles that went
        from the ends of the ridge, although only 1.25" in diameter, took up
        a LOT of floor space. To remedy this I built a new ridgepole of
        mahogany (light-weight and strong) and set it so that one of its
        rounded corners (square cross section) fit into the top of the ridge.
        I then drilled four holes for upright poles that matched the angle of
        the sides of the tent, which I reinforced by gluing in steel tubing
        within which the all thread of the poles would slide, preventing
        undue wear and tear. The pole set-up resembled the frame for a swing
        set. This works especially well in the high winds of Ansteorra.

        A few years later we purchased a large pavilion from Tent Masters,
        measuring about 10' x 20' at its base. With the ridge pole (2" x 2" x
        8') set in on top of two 1.25" diameter poles, the pavilion stood
        well enough but we once again found ourselves with the pole problem
        in the most inconvenient of places.

        While studying architecture I became fascinated with the concept of
        the compression ring. Such a ring is used in Mongolian gers (yurts)
        in the form of a very long, woven belt that girdles the top of the
        lattice, keeping the center ring and rafter poles from pushing it
        outwards. I noticed that our large pavilion already had a compression
        ring of sorts in the guise of the drip flap, which was reinforced
        with heavy, woven cord. This sparked an idea.

        I made a ridgepole of laminated mahogany (2" x 2") with the two holes
        for the all thread of the vertical poles. These were specifically for
        pitching the tent. The ends of the ridgepole had a horizontal double
        hole in each end. Into these double holes went a piece of 1/4" steel
        wire bent into the shape of a Y, the base being doubled and therefore
        would keep the Y from twisting in the hole. Once the pavilion was
        pitched (with the Y's in place) a rafter pole would be put into
        place. Each rafter pole had a 1/4" hole in the top end and a screw
        eye in the bottom end. Because my parameter poles are all 1.25" dowel
        rod (as straight of grain as possible) with 1/4" all-thread glued
        into the top end for the rope, all one had to do was to stab the arm
        of the Y into the hole of the rafter pole, remove the rope from that
        corresponding corner pole, slip the screw eye onto the all thread and
        replace the rope, making sure that the drip flap compression ring was
        well seated over the pole (the edges of the poll ends should be
        rounded off to prevent wear on the canvas). Do this to all four
        corners and you have a pavilion with no center poles (a rather
        magical feeling when one walks in).

        I realize that this sounds pretty flimsy, but I never had a problem
        with it coming down on my head, even during near-tornadic weather. We
        have even had a slight snowfall on the tent without any form of
        mishap. Admittedly it is a bit of fun to set up, but it works.

        Good luck with yours!
        Malaki