Burrell Collection, Glasgow

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2007
      _._,___
      Today we went to the Burrell, which is in some ways better than I
      remembered it. I forgot how much late-medieval and early-modern woodwork
      they have. And how close you can get to a lot of it. I was able to
      observe tool marks on several pieces, including the inside of the 14c
      DeBury chest. The boards were pit-sawed, not riven, and on the inside
      had only been partially flattened with a scrub or jack plane. The marks
      of the pitsaw and the plane were quite easy to see and I think they
      might even show up in a photo. It has a till, which is basically just
      two boards nailed into one end, with some corner pieces to hold them in
      place. Construction is extremely crude - there is basically no joinery
      at all.

      Also saw lots of chisel marks on carved pieces, as expected; and
      plane-chatter tracks on linenfold panels. First look at my photos
      indicates I may have to return for more pics before we leave.

      Most of their other woodwork is early-modern and later, but there was a
      very interesting folding bookstand. Also a stool, attributed to the
      c15th, about which I am a little dubious - it seemed in very good
      condition (for such an ordinary object) and the ends of the tenons are
      double-wedged, a feature I have not seen on the (admittedly few) other
      c15 stools I've been able to look at. Might have to send the curator an
      inquiry.

      Cheers,
      Colin