Re: [MedievalSawdust] Rounding of edges

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 11, 2007
      I've also seen them made so that they resemble a marking gauge which would give you a larger
      tool to grip while you are using it. I'd consider wood instead of metal to hold the scraper blade of the tool.

      I've also seen a simple version that Roy Underhill made with a block of wood and a slotted screw
      The slot on the head of the screw was turned so that it was the cutting/scraping surface of the makeshift tool.

      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 11, 2007
        I've been out-of-the-loop for quite awhile (Trying to build a new
        house to live in) and have just dropped in, but missed the beginning
        thread........but if I understand what's being sought here....someone
        wants a way to neatly round off the square corners of lumber for a
        nice finished furniture look ????/

        There is a tool, specially made for this.
        it'll easily do the job )PERFECTLY in only one or two, easy passes.

        Looks kinda like a can-opener (about same size and shape, but at both
        ends.....i.e. same general width and thickness, with turned up ends
        and rounded corners.......but here's the working part. At the curve
        bend in each end, is a cut out oval hole with sharpened edges.
        The oval hole at one end, is a different size than at the other.

        You pull it, WITH grain of wood, along the corner. It neatly,
        perfectly, rounds the corners so beautifully you'll be flabbergasted
        at the simplicity and easiness of the whole process.

        Highland Hardware, in Atlanta, has them (it's where I got my own,
        years ago) They run (current price) 10.99 each....
        http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?
        PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=corner%20&Page=2
        It's called a 'cornering tool'

        Happy woodworking
        Shara, who's getting my new Guildhall house wired by the end of this
        week, and after a couple of years, living in an 8 x 10 shed, am about
        to move into a heavenly abode of 2-stories, with an 18 x 40'
        bedroom/solar, upstairs, with 16.5 foot cathederal ceilings !!!!!!
        And twill become all a-decorated with tapestries, banners, wrought
        iron candle chandaliers, huge candle-sticks, and wonderful furniture,
        with an antique bed on a raised platform, and heavy drapes, around
        it.......We Should be moved in, by the end of the month !!!!! The
        Building inspector approving (it's being wired by his predecessor, so
        I KNOW it's being done right) and the electric company being co-
        operative in getting us hooked up....YYYYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH!!!!
        OUT of this closet, and Into something we can insulate and heat !!!!
        And I'll have a wonderful large kitchen !!!! full of antique tools,
        (kitchen ones, the wood-working ones are all in my shop, nearby)
        S.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "leaking pen" <itsatrap@...>
        wrote:

        > That is absolutely perfect. thanks. i think ill make myself one
        tonight.

        > (and see, this is what i love most about hand tools. i can make a
        lot of
        > them myself. )
        >

        > On 1/11/07, Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > It's a tool used kind of like a drawknife and kind of like a
        scraper to
        > > dress some types of board edges. There's a good picture and
        description on
        > > *www.redsword.com/dollhouse/moulding.htm, although the doll house
        > > mouldings are out-of-period.*
        > >
        > > * *
        > >
        > > *Master William*
        > >

        > > ------------------------------

      • leaking pen
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 11, 2007
          Actually, the exact application is to round out the corners of
          spanking paddles , both 1 inch thick, and 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick, that
          are being cut out on a band saw from planks, so that there is a smooth
          curve off that wont cut into flesh when being used to spank people.

          (you asked)

          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 11, 2007
            ohh, and, i like that, actually. i was doing the rounding of the
            corners themselves with a sander. that works.

          • WR
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 12, 2007
              On 2007.01.13 14:27 leaking pen wrote:
              > snort. personal rule, if you ever have the feeling you need to use
              > something other than your hand to spank a child, a. you arent in a
              > mental state to properly punish,

              My father told me of the "trick" he used when...well, anyway <g>: every
              time his arm went up, he "got the belt" across his back, so he knew for
              certain how hard he was hitting. And for the record, catagorically
              *refused* to allow anything more substantial than that. Also, I should
              point out that he only went to the belt AFTER I had developed a good
              butt-callous! (nobody ever GAVE me a spanking, I earned every one!)

              > and b. the spanking wont do anything.

              Generally speaking, no. :-)

              > they are however being used with love, and heart shaped cuttouts are
              > one of the options.
              >
              > (for bdsm use)

              I wasn't gonna go there. :-)
            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 12, 2007
                Make sure the holes are heart shapped so they will know it is being used
                with love!!

                James Cunningham
                Maker of Craftswomen child rearing tools

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 12, 2007
                  snort. personal rule, if you ever have the feeling you need to use
                  something other than your hand to spank a child, a. you arent in a
                  mental state to properly punish, and b. the spanking wont do anything.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 13, 2007
                    see, with my sister, spanking was used so rarely that it was a , hurt
                    the pride, not the butt, kinda thing. at 10, a sudden quick pop on
                    teh butt, and shed be standing there, open mouthed, with a, did i just
                    get spanked? deer in teh headlights look. it caused her to change her
                    behaviour immediately when she did do it.

                    (Seriously, if one is going to use pain for behaviour modification for
                    children, those electrc fence dog collars with a remote contrl work so
                    much better.

                    --
                    That which yields isn't always weak.
                  • windsingersmoon
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 22, 2007
                      Darn !!!

                      Too late for MY two !!!!

                      Their Dad was lost in a traffic accident when they were little, so I
                      just used their Dad's belt to do the necessary deed when it was
                      needed....made um kinda feel like their Dad still had a hand in
                      raising them up to become decent young men..... (I give the men-folk
                      in the Sca full credit for doing most of the Real male-guidance/role
                      model work that raised my two boys.......thankyou, where-ever you
                      are...for being so many surragate 'dads' to a couple of kids who
                      needed one !!!.)

                      With so much changing in the world, and so many folks objecting to
                      spanking the little monsters, I wound up asking my youngest, when he
                      turned 18/20-ish if he, in any way resented my having spanked
                      him/them ???

                      He looked at me like I'd lost my mind.
                      He informed me that I'd 'spanked', not beaten them.
                      And if he and his brother had objected to getting spanked, ALL they'd
                      had to do, was Not do, what they knew they'd get spanked for, if
                      caught. (he added that they hadn't Always gotten caught, so I still
                      owed them quite a few)
                      Also adding that when he eventually got married/had kids of his own,
                      he didn't care What the current view would be on such things, he was
                      darn well going to spank his own kids,.....he'd be (darned) if he
                      wanted to be raising spoiled brats !!!!!
                      Shara the proud mom
                      (ps, that gadget I suggested, works GREAT on major furniture AND
                      Spanking paddles !)

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 22, 2007
                        yes, but you are obviously a rational adult who did what you did not
                        out of anger, but as behaviour modification. unfortunatly, there are
                        those that dont.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 22, 2007
                          I'd been beaten.

                          That's not love, it's abuse.

                          I knew my own would end when my mother pulled him off of me, 2
                          strikes more away from a trip to the hospital.

                          My boys knew, precisely, when their's would end.
                          3 licks per offense.

                          3 for the offense
                          3 more if it was a repeat offense
                          and 3 more if they lied to me.

                          It got added up, before, and counted down, during, by both them, and
                          me......I never wanted it on my concience that I'd intentionally beat
                          one of my boys in un-controlled anger. I hid and licked my
                          wounds after my beatings.

                          My kids didn't. Had a good cry, thought about the situation, then
                          came to me, sheepishly, with some small peace offering to let me know
                          they were sorry and wanted everything to be okay again.

                          What's REALLY funny, is that Somewhere around here, I still have a 3
                          quarter inch thick 'paddle' that one of them made, at school, and
                          gave me, proudly, to use on them if I ever couldn't find their Dad's
                          belt.........I never used it........ya just don't hit kids with
                          lumber !........but he surely knew I wouldn't when he made and gave
                          it to me.........his first year of highschool, shop project.

                          (Ahhhhhhhhh, I Understand now !!!! TEEN-AGERS !!!!
                          Okay.
                          maybe it's a simple matter of needing to get the message more clearly
                          delivered.......<<<<<GGGGG>>>>>

                          Now, back to our regularly schedualed program.....
                          BTW
                          Looks like I'll maybe be moving into the Guldhall, tomarrow.
                          And the first thing on my in-house agenda, is going to be experiments
                          to solve the mystery of how Linseed oil for woodworking was made.

                          I'll keep careful records, and share the results asap.

                          I've already gahtered everything I may need, of a Medieval tool type
                          nature, over there, just waiting for the move to get started on it.
                          <G>
                          Shara who is very optimistic that I know the solution to the
                          mystery.....

                        • JBRMM266@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 23, 2007
                            My father had a whole array of "slapparatus" that he would occasionally name, for increasingly grave offenses. #1 was his bare hand, #2 his belt, #3 his hairbrush, and so on up to #10, a paddle presented to him by his fraternity. That baby was about 2-1/2 feet long and four inches wide, nicely stained and varnished, with the letters and his name engraved in it (no, no holes. That paddle was intended more as a showpiece than an instrument of correction).   I'm not sure what became of that paddle. I went into a different fraternity, so I didn't want it!

                            The mere knowledge that such an array existed was enough to keep me in line most of the time.   And in fact, only once did he ever use anything beyond #1, when he had me get the hairbrush from his dresser and bend over my bed. By this time I was one scared puppy.  He then took a mighty wind-up and  . . . gave me what amounted to a love-tap. I was almost disappointed . . . almost!

                            When he DID administer a real spanking, it was with my mother as witness, and he never gave me more than four strokes, carefully timed.  I don't consider myself to have been abused in receiving such attention.

                            Once, just once, he hauled off and swatted me upside the head. Had it happened more than once I might've considered it abuse, but one can, I think, make allowances for an isolated lapse.

                            Ruefully
                            Donal