Oil Extraction

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2007
      > Does anyone have any recipes on how to extract linseed oil from flax?
      > iI've found a refference that states that boiled linseed oil was
      > originally, not regular cold pressed linseed oil that was boiled, but
      > linseed oil that was extracted through heat and steam while being
      > pressed. Can anyone verify this, or have experience extracting oil
      > from seed themselves?

      Not heard this before. Assuming this is more or less true, I would
      tend to believe that large scale extraction using live steam is not on
      the list of things our honourable ancestors were doing a lot of.
      However, extraction might have been accomplished by dumping crushed
      linseed into boiling water and collecting what rose to the top. In
      fact, the oil might have been a bi-product of the manufature of
      whatever it is you get when you dump linseed in boiling water. (I have
      no idea what that is, but I know health food types who eat the stuff.)

      Of course this is 100% USDA conjecture, but you could try it on the
      small scale and see what happens. (Note: The vapor over hot linseed
      oil is flamable. I'm not going to guess at the specifics, just urge
      caution.) If you do it in the right kind of pot you might even get
      some of that "metalic drying agent" phenomenon free of charge.

      Avery
    • leaking pen
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2007
        Thanks. actually, doing a little more digging, ive found a 15th
        century refference from china that showed extraction of oil was done
        by boiling, drying, crushing, and then mixing with very hot water and
        squeezing the dough until the oil rose. so basically what you said.
        Also, it is long term boiled with a metal salt still, borx in this
        case. BUUUT, its still just a little, and boiled, as opposed to
        todays, which is a lot of metal, and raw.

        Me thinks im going to give a try at producing this.

        --
        That which yields isn't always weak.
      • Mark Schuldenfrei
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2007
          leaking pen wrote:
          > Me thinks im going to give a try at producing this.

          Be very aware of the extreme fire dangers before
          attempting this, please.

          Tibor
        • leaking pen
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2007
            ohh, i am. im a biochemist. i do hexane chemical extractions all the
            time, as well as occasional ether and other volatiles.

            also, my understanding is that the oil vapors arent super flammable,
            its that the soaked rags will heat while oxidating to the point of
            combustion. looking at the linolean linolic acid composition, id say
            that its a lamp oil. that is, requires a wick to burn, wont burn on
            its own. and ive seen no mention of the vapors being flammable. am i
            wrong?

            --
            That which yields isn't always weak.
          • Bruce S. R. Lee
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
              Your description of 'How to burn down your workshop without trying'
              is pretty much spot-on from the descriptions I have read in various
              woodworking mags. Treated oils (Linseed, tung, 'Danish') + bunched up
              rags = fire. The recommended procedure is to spread out each finish
              soaked rag by itself, outside on a non flammable surface & wait until
              it is dry & hard, then dispose of in a metal trashcan that is also
              outside, water bath is optional. The idea is that the oxidizing oils
              in the finish do generate the heat, and the rag acts as the wick to
              encourage the oil into a full fledged flame rather than a smokey
              smoulder, but if its spread out the heat disperses before reaching a
              critical temperature.

              I think the worry over fumes from the heated seed/oil mass is more
              due to the inability of the home DIY'er being able to monitor the
              heat adequately, and accidentally getting the whole thing hot enough
              to produce OTHER volatiles, not just the desired linseed or whatever
              oil, something that should never happen in a modern extraction plant,
              and probably rarely happened in our 'period' with experienced operators.

              regards
              Brusi of Orkney
              At 08:30 AM 4/01/2007, you wrote:
              >ohh, i am. im a biochemist. i do hexane chemical extractions all the
              >time, as well as occasional ether and other volatiles.
              >
              >also, my understanding is that the oil vapors arent super flammable,
              >its that the soaked rags will heat while oxidating to the point of
              >combustion. looking at the linolean linolic acid composition, id say
              >that its a lamp oil. that is, requires a wick to burn, wont burn on
              >its own. and ive seen no mention of the vapors being flammable. am i
              >wrong?
            • leaking pen
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
                i would think youd prefer to wash teh rags instead. you know, waste
                not, want not.

                --
                That which yields isn't always weak.
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007

                  I hang them from a trashcan in a supervised environment.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
                    This brings up another mental query I had.   Modern "boiled" oil is really not boiled, with a LOT of metal dryers, I've heard.  Period boiled is boiled to polymerize, and has a little metal salt.  primarily lead salts or borax it looks like.  Would the extra metal add color to the wood?  Has anyone used homemade true boiled that could comment on color difference?

                    --

                  • kjworz@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
                      I save my dried-finish rags after drying them flat on a non-flamable surface. Once hard they are safe, and the finish encrusted hard rag makes an excellent burnisher of the original piece that I prefer to fine sandpaper between coats.

                      Someone had a question on 'real' period style linseed oil availability. This is the only source for same I know of

                      http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/

                      They also make a varnish made of natural resins that might be more authentic than polyurethane..

                      --
                      -Chris Schwartz
                      Silver Spring, MD

                      From: "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
                        ooo, i like the burnishing idea.

                        and they say no metal driers at all? but... a small amount of metal
                        salt is required as a catalyst to polymerize. i thought.

                        hmm. will find out when i experiment. need to pick up several pounds
                        of flax seed, and something to grind them in...

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 5, 2007
                          >This brings up another mental query I had. Modern "boiled" oil is
                          >really not boiled, with a LOT of metal dryers, I've heard.

                          I'm not sure what qualifies as "a lot". I found a reference to 0.33%
                          copper, cobalt, zinc or maganese napthenate in linseed oil, but I don't
                          know that any of these metals produce strongly colored salts when
                          exposed to things in wood the way iron and tanic acid do.

                          I'm not sure that the 0.33% is total weight to total weight or the
                          weight of the metal itself to total weight.

                          Avery
                        • leaking pen
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 5, 2007
                            for a solution, its likely a molar percentage. ie, not weight, actual
                            number of particles.

                            and i mean in comparison.

                            --
                            That which yields isn't always weak.