Re: [MedievalSawdust] Before the Mast and ILL question

  • JBRMM266@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
      The Mary Rose . . .

      I saw many of the artifacts on display in a museum in Portsmouth, VA.  Fascinating.

      Also a bit scary, some of them. There was an antipersonnel gun with a rectangular bore, that they found loaded - with cube-shaped shot.  It was called a "hailshot piece" and must have been prone to disintegration . . .

      Donal

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
        Gillian:

        I've not tried to ILL the book, since I bought a copy of it at Pennsic this past year.  It VERY worth the $100 for it!!  The book is huge and full of the most interesting bits and pieces <grin>, not only woodworking stuff, but all sorts of information about clothing, accessories, locations of people, etc.

        Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
        Middle Kingdom

        The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

        <bsrlee2@... > wrote:

        > They found a couple of trestles in the Mary Rose Wreck. Published in'
        > Before the Mast' - Use Interlibrary loan (OK, I have a copy of my own
        > ;-) ).

        A question for the list -- has anyone actually been able to ILL this
        book? I tried, and was told my requesting library couldn't get it for
        me because it was too expensive a volume, and their sources wouldn't
        supply it.

        If you have been able to get it, Could you pleasepost here the library
        that loaned it? I'd really appreciate it.

        Thanks,

        Gillian [reluctant to drop $100+ on a book until she's seen it] Durham

      • Beth and Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
          Get it from David Brown Books (US) 1-800-791-9354. They are selling it for
          $80. Currently they have a few slightly damaged copies for around $20 plus
          shipping.
          http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/36367

          I paid full price for my copy when it came out and consider it well worth
          the money.

          Warning: this book dealer is highly addictive and damaging to your pocket
          book. (a very satisfied customer).

          Beth Matney

        • maf@gleichen.ca
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
            I ordered a copy through Blackwell and it was under 40 pounds with shipping. It's a great book worth the money but I tried for 2 months and never did find a source to ILL it through.

            Mark

            > They found a couple of trestles in the Mary Rose Wreck. Published in'
            > Before the Mast' - Use Interlibrary loan (OK, I have a copy of my own
            > ;-) ).

            A question for the list -- has anyone actually been able to ILL this
            book? I tried, and was told my requesting library couldn't get it for
            me because it was too expensive a volume, and their sources wouldn't
            supply it.

            If you have been able to get it, Could you pleasepost here the library
            that loaned it? I'd really appreciate it.

            Thanks,

            Gillian [reluctant to drop $100+ on a book until she's seen it] Durham

          • Liedtke Goetz
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
              --- Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:

              > Get it from David Brown Books (US) 1-800-791-9354. They are selling
              > it for
              > $80. Currently they have a few slightly damaged copies for around $20
              > plus
              > shipping.
              > http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/36367

              DBBC currently has a special for "Before the Mast: Life and Death
              aboard the Mary Rose" and Geoff Egan's "Material culture in London in
              an age of transition: Tudor and Stuart period finds c. 1450 - c. 1700
              from Excavations at Riverside sites in Southwark" for a combined total
              of $100.

              Goetz Liedtke

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Bruce S. R. Lee
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
                In Australia the major libraries will photocopy the relevant pages of
                their books if they don't want to let the original out of their
                possession - I obtained an article from the 'Salzburgerjahrbuch'(sp?)
                on the Hatra ballista this way, but they forgot the photographic
                plates which took me years to get copies of.

                If you want the page with the trestle details I can probably wrestle
                it onto my scanner & e-mail to a safe account. Come to think of it, I
                should make a set or two to take on my next camping event.

                regards
                Brusi of Orkney
                Rowany/Lochac
                Sydney/Australia