Before the Mast and ILL question

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce S. R. Lee"
      <bsrlee2@...> wrote:

      > They found a couple of trestles in the Mary Rose Wreck. Published in'
      > Before the Mast' - Use Interlibrary loan (OK, I have a copy of my own
      > ;-) ).

      A question for the list -- has anyone actually been able to ILL this
      book? I tried, and was told my requesting library couldn't get it for
      me because it was too expensive a volume, and their sources wouldn't
      supply it.

      If you have been able to get it, Could you pleasepost here the library
      that loaned it? I'd really appreciate it.

      Thanks,

      Gillian [reluctant to drop $100+ on a book until she's seen it] Durham
    • JBRMM266@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
        The Mary Rose . . .

        I saw many of the artifacts on display in a museum in Portsmouth, VA.  Fascinating.

        Also a bit scary, some of them. There was an antipersonnel gun with a rectangular bore, that they found loaded - with cube-shaped shot.  It was called a "hailshot piece" and must have been prone to disintegration . . .

        Donal

        > > They found a couple of trestles in the Mary Rose Wreck. Published in' > Before the Mast' - Use Interlibrary loan (OK, I have a copy of my own > ;-) ).
        A question for the list -- has anyone actually been able to ILL this book? I tried, and was told my requesting library couldn't get it for me because it was too expensive a volume, and their sources wouldn't supply it. If you have been able to get it, Could you pleasepost here the library that loaned it? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Gillian [reluctant to drop $100+ on a book until she's seen it] Durham

      • Helen Schultz
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
          Gillian:

          I've not tried to ILL the book, since I bought a copy of it at Pennsic this past year.  It VERY worth the $100 for it!!  The book is huge and full of the most interesting bits and pieces <grin>, not only woodworking stuff, but all sorts of information about clothing, accessories, locations of people, etc.

          Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
          Middle Kingdom

          The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

          <bsrlee2@... > wrote:

          > They found a couple of trestles in the Mary Rose Wreck. Published in'
          > Before the Mast' - Use Interlibrary loan (OK, I have a copy of my own
          > ;-) ).

          A question for the list -- has anyone actually been able to ILL this
          book? I tried, and was told my requesting library couldn't get it for
          me because it was too expensive a volume, and their sources wouldn't
          supply it.

          If you have been able to get it, Could you pleasepost here the library
          that loaned it? I'd really appreciate it.

          Thanks,

          Gillian [reluctant to drop $100+ on a book until she's seen it] Durham

        • Beth and Bob Matney
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
            Get it from David Brown Books (US) 1-800-791-9354. They are selling it for
            $80. Currently they have a few slightly damaged copies for around $20 plus
            shipping.
            http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/36367

            I paid full price for my copy when it came out and consider it well worth
            the money.

            Warning: this book dealer is highly addictive and damaging to your pocket
            book. (a very satisfied customer).

            Beth Matney

          • maf@gleichen.ca
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
              I ordered a copy through Blackwell and it was under 40 pounds with shipping. It's a great book worth the money but I tried for 2 months and never did find a source to ILL it through.

              Mark

              > They found a couple of trestles in the Mary Rose Wreck. Published in'
              > Before the Mast' - Use Interlibrary loan (OK, I have a copy of my own
              > ;-) ).

              A question for the list -- has anyone actually been able to ILL this
              book? I tried, and was told my requesting library couldn't get it for
              me because it was too expensive a volume, and their sources wouldn't
              supply it.

              If you have been able to get it, Could you pleasepost here the library
              that loaned it? I'd really appreciate it.

              Thanks,

              Gillian [reluctant to drop $100+ on a book until she's seen it] Durham

            • Liedtke Goetz
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
                --- Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:

                > Get it from David Brown Books (US) 1-800-791-9354. They are selling
                > it for
                > $80. Currently they have a few slightly damaged copies for around $20
                > plus
                > shipping.
                > http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/36367

                DBBC currently has a special for "Before the Mast: Life and Death
                aboard the Mary Rose" and Geoff Egan's "Material culture in London in
                an age of transition: Tudor and Stuart period finds c. 1450 - c. 1700
                from Excavations at Riverside sites in Southwark" for a combined total
                of $100.

                Goetz Liedtke

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Bruce S. R. Lee
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
                  In Australia the major libraries will photocopy the relevant pages of
                  their books if they don't want to let the original out of their
                  possession - I obtained an article from the 'Salzburgerjahrbuch'(sp?)
                  on the Hatra ballista this way, but they forgot the photographic
                  plates which took me years to get copies of.

                  If you want the page with the trestle details I can probably wrestle
                  it onto my scanner & e-mail to a safe account. Come to think of it, I
                  should make a set or two to take on my next camping event.

                  regards
                  Brusi of Orkney
                  Rowany/Lochac
                  Sydney/Australia