Re: [MedievalSawdust] Research project...

  • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
      First you have to define which kind of trestle table you are looking for. The
      same name is used to refer to tables with connected pillar understructure like
      the link that was posted in response to your note as well as to refer to the
      style best described as a three legged saw horse.

      The 13th/14th seems to be more likely to be the 3 legged horse with planks for a
      table, while the more traditional style of a connected understructure seems to
      be more likely 15th/16th. In addition to those basic styles, there are tables
      that are large slabs with four legs, one in each corner. That basic table seems
      to have found life almost through all of period.

      If we look at the 3 legged trestle, we can further divide the styles by the
      arrangement of the three legs. One style, a distinctively later (13/14/15thC)
      period style features a tall trapezoidal end board cut to make a pair of legs
      attached to a cross bar, often with some form of sliding joint for disassembly,
      and a solitary leg square and perpendicular from the far end of the cross bar.

      The earlier style three legged trestle will feature three individual legs. Two
      attached to the ends of the cross bar, splayed outwards on the same side of the
      cross bar with an opposing leg angled out from the center of the cross bar.

      The advantage of this style is that they are easier to setup on slightly uneven
      ground than a four legged trestle. The other advantage is there are less legs to
      interfere with the people using the table. Our camp uses the three separate leg
      style trestles at both indoor events as well as camping events. We will block up
      the legs with scrap wood to make the tops of the trestles level and and add
      additional blocks on top of the cross bars to make the tops parallel with each
      other.

      For table tops we have used 3 planks of 2x10s, 1/2" 2'x4' plywood, a 2'x4'
      plywood solid core hardwood door and for dining, the same trestles have been
      used with a 2'x6.5' solid core door. The point is whatever slab we have
      available to use, we use depending on whether we plan to be setup for two weeks
      or for a few hours. The lesser time periods, we use easier to transport slabs.
      If the table is being used as a work bench, we use the 2x10 slabs.

      Our legs are simple closet rod tapered with a drawknife and fit into round
      tapered holes we made in cedar 4x4x24" long cross bars made using a tapered bit
      in a hand brace. Having done it that way, I'd say it would be easier to make the
      ends of the legs round using a drawknife or doweling bit in a brace and make a
      regular round hole in the cross bars. My original prototype featured a basic
      square mortise and even though the prototype was simple 1x3 for the legs and
      5/4x3 for the cross bar and the mortise was only 1/2" x1" it still was able to
      hold my 340lb (at the time) body up.

      The later, more gothic style, end trapezoid style three legged trestle is really
      not well suited to outdoor use. The only time we've had a table come down was
      that style of trestle as they just tended to slide down the hills at Pennsic and
      collapse.

      If you are looking for later styles, the fixed style connected pedestal style
      trestle table was done in many ways by many cultures over many years.

      Haraldr

      James Winkler wrote:
      > Ok... so, like, I get this email from a fella' in Calontir who has a need to
      > find out some info on trestle tables... with a specific request for
      > 13th/14th c. models.
      >
      > I have *some* info... mostly from illuminations...
      >
      > What I'm asking this list is... if you have any good examples or sources of
      > info, could ya' pass em' along? I'd like to be able to give this fella' a
      > bit more that the wee bit I've scrapped up in my own library. [Darn... I
      > wish those 13th/14th c. folks took better care of their stuff so we had some
      > physical examples...]
      >
      > Thanks - Chas.
    • msgilliandurham
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce S. R. Lee"
        <bsrlee2@...> wrote:

        > They found a couple of trestles in the Mary Rose Wreck. Published in'
        > Before the Mast' - Use Interlibrary loan (OK, I have a copy of my own
        > ;-) ).

        A question for the list -- has anyone actually been able to ILL this
        book? I tried, and was told my requesting library couldn't get it for
        me because it was too expensive a volume, and their sources wouldn't
        supply it.

        If you have been able to get it, Could you pleasepost here the library
        that loaned it? I'd really appreciate it.

        Thanks,

        Gillian [reluctant to drop $100+ on a book until she's seen it] Durham
      • JBRMM266@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
          The Mary Rose . . .

          I saw many of the artifacts on display in a museum in Portsmouth, VA.  Fascinating.

          Also a bit scary, some of them. There was an antipersonnel gun with a rectangular bore, that they found loaded - with cube-shaped shot.  It was called a "hailshot piece" and must have been prone to disintegration . . .

          Donal

          > > They found a couple of trestles in the Mary Rose Wreck. Published in' > Before the Mast' - Use Interlibrary loan (OK, I have a copy of my own > ;-) ).
          A question for the list -- has anyone actually been able to ILL this book? I tried, and was told my requesting library couldn't get it for me because it was too expensive a volume, and their sources wouldn't supply it. If you have been able to get it, Could you pleasepost here the library that loaned it? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Gillian [reluctant to drop $100+ on a book until she's seen it] Durham

        • Helen Schultz
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
            Gillian:

            I've not tried to ILL the book, since I bought a copy of it at Pennsic this past year.  It VERY worth the $100 for it!!  The book is huge and full of the most interesting bits and pieces <grin>, not only woodworking stuff, but all sorts of information about clothing, accessories, locations of people, etc.

            Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
            Middle Kingdom

            The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

            <bsrlee2@... > wrote:

            > They found a couple of trestles in the Mary Rose Wreck. Published in'
            > Before the Mast' - Use Interlibrary loan (OK, I have a copy of my own
            > ;-) ).

            A question for the list -- has anyone actually been able to ILL this
            book? I tried, and was told my requesting library couldn't get it for
            me because it was too expensive a volume, and their sources wouldn't
            supply it.

            If you have been able to get it, Could you pleasepost here the library
            that loaned it? I'd really appreciate it.

            Thanks,

            Gillian [reluctant to drop $100+ on a book until she's seen it] Durham

          • Beth and Bob Matney
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
              Get it from David Brown Books (US) 1-800-791-9354. They are selling it for
              $80. Currently they have a few slightly damaged copies for around $20 plus
              shipping.
              http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/36367

              I paid full price for my copy when it came out and consider it well worth
              the money.

              Warning: this book dealer is highly addictive and damaging to your pocket
              book. (a very satisfied customer).

              Beth Matney

            • maf@gleichen.ca
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
                I ordered a copy through Blackwell and it was under 40 pounds with shipping. It's a great book worth the money but I tried for 2 months and never did find a source to ILL it through.

                Mark

                > They found a couple of trestles in the Mary Rose Wreck. Published in'
                > Before the Mast' - Use Interlibrary loan (OK, I have a copy of my own
                > ;-) ).

                A question for the list -- has anyone actually been able to ILL this
                book? I tried, and was told my requesting library couldn't get it for
                me because it was too expensive a volume, and their sources wouldn't
                supply it.

                If you have been able to get it, Could you pleasepost here the library
                that loaned it? I'd really appreciate it.

                Thanks,

                Gillian [reluctant to drop $100+ on a book until she's seen it] Durham

              • Liedtke Goetz
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
                  --- Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:

                  > Get it from David Brown Books (US) 1-800-791-9354. They are selling
                  > it for
                  > $80. Currently they have a few slightly damaged copies for around $20
                  > plus
                  > shipping.
                  > http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/36367

                  DBBC currently has a special for "Before the Mast: Life and Death
                  aboard the Mary Rose" and Geoff Egan's "Material culture in London in
                  an age of transition: Tudor and Stuart period finds c. 1450 - c. 1700
                  from Excavations at Riverside sites in Southwark" for a combined total
                  of $100.

                  Goetz Liedtke

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Bruce S. R. Lee
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
                    In Australia the major libraries will photocopy the relevant pages of
                    their books if they don't want to let the original out of their
                    possession - I obtained an article from the 'Salzburgerjahrbuch'(sp?)
                    on the Hatra ballista this way, but they forgot the photographic
                    plates which took me years to get copies of.

                    If you want the page with the trestle details I can probably wrestle
                    it onto my scanner & e-mail to a safe account. Come to think of it, I
                    should make a set or two to take on my next camping event.

                    regards
                    Brusi of Orkney
                    Rowany/Lochac
                    Sydney/Australia