Dust control.....

  • Ralph Lindberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2006
      OK, my favorite button just got pushed.

      There are two types of woodworkers, those that are sensitive to wood
      dust, and those that will be.

      I use, well, several systems, all at once.

      First, I have a full-face dust/safety mask. Mine is a Trend Airshield
      (http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=17)
      but the 3M Airstream
      (http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=21)
      and the Triton
      (http://www.amazon.com/Triton-Workshop-Systems-PRA001-Respirator/dp/B0000DEZO8)
      are both good dust mask/safety shield.

      I wear it -all- the time I am turning, or sanding, or using the table
      saw, or... anything that generates dust.

      I have a crack in the mask from a bowl that orbited, I also found the
      pre-filter was a bright red, after turning (but not sanding) a Pauduk
      bowl.

      Dust is EVERYWHERE.

      Which is why I also use a conventional dust collector as the 2nd line.
      I suggest getting a good two stage.

      Lastly, as the third line (and to keep the dust from collecting all
      over the shop). I use a whole shop air-filter (mine is a Delta, the
      CFM is so large it should cycle all the air in the shop every few minutes.

      Wood dust is NOT your friend

      TTFN
      Ralg
      AnTir