Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Capstan Table

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
      I've used ash quite a lot, especially for beds, where the
      stiffness-to-weight ratio really counts. I like it a lot. It carves
      pretty well too. I especially like the heartwood, which often displays
      some interesting color variation, but is hard to find as most people
      want the pure-white stuff (which I find bland). It does take stain
      quite well.

      It can be tricky stuff to plane, though. Grain reversals on the faces
      cause a lot of tearout. Need really sharp tools. (What else is new!)

      Colin

      Eric wrote:
      > You might want to try Ash too. Nice stuff to work with, though I
      > haven't tried carving it yet, and it's at the lighter end of the
      > hardwood spectrum.

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
        I've made all my crossbow stocks from white ash.  It is as hard as oak but rots and stain if it is put on wet ground.

        James Cunningham
      • gunwaldt
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 18, 2006
          Colin wrote:
          > Yes, it's an inside joke. And, like all jokes,
          > it isn't funny when you explain it.

          But the explaination lets us unworthy rabble feel a little more
          included. Thank you for taking the time.

          Gunwaldt