Re: Capstan Table

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
      You might want to try Ash too. Nice stuff to work with, though I
      haven't tried carving it yet, and it's at the lighter end of the
      hardwood spectrum.

      Eirikr
      Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, AlbionWood <albionwood@...>
      wrote:

      > Definitely a kindred spirit, I see.
      >
      > One of my goals for next year is to work with something other than
      white
      > oak for a change. I'm thinking Birch might be nice.
      >
      > Colin

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
        I've used ash quite a lot, especially for beds, where the
        stiffness-to-weight ratio really counts. I like it a lot. It carves
        pretty well too. I especially like the heartwood, which often displays
        some interesting color variation, but is hard to find as most people
        want the pure-white stuff (which I find bland). It does take stain
        quite well.

        It can be tricky stuff to plane, though. Grain reversals on the faces
        cause a lot of tearout. Need really sharp tools. (What else is new!)

        Colin

        Eric wrote:
        > You might want to try Ash too. Nice stuff to work with, though I
        > haven't tried carving it yet, and it's at the lighter end of the
        > hardwood spectrum.

      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
          I've made all my crossbow stocks from white ash.  It is as hard as oak but rots and stain if it is put on wet ground.

          James Cunningham
        • gunwaldt
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 18, 2006
            Colin wrote:
            > Yes, it's an inside joke. And, like all jokes,
            > it isn't funny when you explain it.

            But the explaination lets us unworthy rabble feel a little more
            included. Thank you for taking the time.

            Gunwaldt