Re: [MedievalSawdust] Capstan Table

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
      Definitely a kindred spirit, I see.

      One of my goals for next year is to work with something other than white
      oak for a change. I'm thinking Birch might be nice.

      Colin

      Steve Vaught wrote:
      > Oh I do not mock you. Red Oak for one isn't period, and is a pain to
      > work with. The open grain structure makes it hard to finish and rough
      > to work with.
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
        You might want to try Ash too. Nice stuff to work with, though I
        haven't tried carving it yet, and it's at the lighter end of the
        hardwood spectrum.

        Eirikr
        Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, AlbionWood <albionwood@...>
        wrote:

        > Definitely a kindred spirit, I see.
        >
        > One of my goals for next year is to work with something other than
        white
        > oak for a change. I'm thinking Birch might be nice.
        >
        > Colin

      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
          I've used ash quite a lot, especially for beds, where the
          stiffness-to-weight ratio really counts. I like it a lot. It carves
          pretty well too. I especially like the heartwood, which often displays
          some interesting color variation, but is hard to find as most people
          want the pure-white stuff (which I find bland). It does take stain
          quite well.

          It can be tricky stuff to plane, though. Grain reversals on the faces
          cause a lot of tearout. Need really sharp tools. (What else is new!)

          Colin

          Eric wrote:
          > You might want to try Ash too. Nice stuff to work with, though I
          > haven't tried carving it yet, and it's at the lighter end of the
          > hardwood spectrum.

        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
            I've made all my crossbow stocks from white ash.  It is as hard as oak but rots and stain if it is put on wet ground.

            James Cunningham
          • gunwaldt
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 18, 2006
              Colin wrote:
              > Yes, it's an inside joke. And, like all jokes,
              > it isn't funny when you explain it.

              But the explaination lets us unworthy rabble feel a little more
              included. Thank you for taking the time.

              Gunwaldt